• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best rod and reel?

Academy has some good prices on rod and reel pkgs,they have some good prices on individual stuff also,6 ft and up on rods.medium action.

I fish a good bit and I like the Plfueger President reel and Cabela's rod combo. They are usually $79, but they run specials a couple times a year for $59. I try to pick a couple up when they are on sale. I like a medium light set up.

If you want to try a baitcaster, try the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier. The combos are a little over $100. I have baitcast rod and reels that cost over $500, but I like the Pro Qualifier better.

best pole i ever got a deal on was a vintage south bend kast king made in usa at good will for $5. I put a reel on it and have caught 100's of fish with it.

Okay, I'm going to be that guy.

In a rod you typically get a lighter, stronger and more sensitive rod by spending a little more. You can get any one of those features in a cheap rod, but seldom two and never all three.

Light = less fatiguing to use and helps with sensitivity.
Strong = self explanatory, but often overlooked until it's too late.
Sensitive = more strikes detected (more fish caught). The biggest freshwater fish I have caught hit so lightly that it felt like a bumble bee landed on the rod tip. If I had been using a less sensitive rod I probably never would have known she was there.

In a reel the benefits are smooth, casting distance/control (accuracy) and fish fighting ability.

Smooth = just a pleasure to use when it has a smooth retrieve.
Casting = the further you can reach and still put it where you want it can make a lot of difference. The first part of a good presentation to the fish is landing that cast where you want it.
Fighting Ability = THE DRAG SYSTEM! There are probably more "Fish Of a Lifetime" lost due to a poor drag system than any other reason. Good drag systems are the primary difference in the cost of a good reel.

With all that said, you don't have to get crazy expensive to have a very nice set up. The super high cost stuff is just a prestige purchase. If you wisely spend about $150 on a reel and another $150 to $200 on a rod you'll have a hell of a nice set up. You'll also be able to do a lot with it. My favorite will handle bass fishing very well and be right at home, but I would not hesitate to take on a 40lb Bull Red with it. It's loaded with high quality 20lb braid and all I have to do is change the leader to fit the fish.

Got a couple of Abu Garcia's. Revo and 5000 or some # ?. I prefer the Lews I have. Cast better. Never caught anything big to test the drag.
The Abu Garcia bait casters are good reels. They don't look high tech like a lot of the newer designs, but they work! Strong drags and very reliable. I have a couple of the 5500 and 6500. I use them primarily for trolling now, but I used a 6500c as my primary casting reel for many years. It's a little big for that, but I have big hands and it fit well. It's the reel I was using when I caught that big fish I mentioned. A 43lb Striper on 14lb test mono. That drag got a serious workout and performed flawlessly. If it hadn't, I would have never even seen that fish.

Back
Top Bottom