• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best rod and reel?

cr107

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
So, I am just really getting into fishing. On our new property we have 2 fully stocked ponds (large ponds, about 12 feet deep on the main) with Bass, Brim, Bluegill that we've found so far.

I picked up a cheap "Catch More Fish" pond & lake kit by Shakespeare that gets the job done, but I am wanting to upgrade.

What are you guys using? I like the spinning rod I have but you can tell its cheap. Just not sure what makes a rod $200+ that special.

You can't go wrong with a Lew's reel. They make several different grades and the more you spend, the better they are. Smoother retrieve, better casting, etc. I'm using the Academy Sports Ethos Nano rods. (The blue ones). A decent rod for the money.

I dont have a rod / reel combo over $50. Grab a variety of things...Zebco 33, Daiwa Spin cast conbo, maybe a Lew Spin Cast, doesnt cost much to have a ton of fun.
There have been more fish caught with a Zebco 33 than all other rods combined.
No joke.

Thanks guys. I currently have a Zebco on my list from Academy, but I have some points to burn at Bass Pro so I may have to mosey out there this weekend.

Just pick up a $40-$60 combo rod/reel from Bass Pro or Academy. Hell, half of mine are from Walmart and they work just fine. I think I'd like to use a more expensive, "better" set up, but I'd be a lot more mad if it got messed up or accidently broken than I am if something happens to a Walmart rod and reel. I just broke one of my ultralight rods a couple days ago because I accidentally shut a car door on the end of it. However, it was cheap and wont cost much to replace, so I'm not all that upset about it.

I am a big fan of the ugly stuck setups.
For pond fishing I bring a rod and reel combo called a dock demon or some ugly sticks. They are around 20 bucks but very well built and not invested

I like live bait. Worms and blue backs.

Back
Top Bottom