Best Survial Knife (A Must Have!)

I collect case knives but rarely use any of them. Most are new. I even have carbon blade case knives that are still shiny. I have a fair sized collection of case, old pre-china buck, pre-china shrade, bayonets, dive knives and others. As far as use, I appreciate a good quality knife with no collector value so I don't mind getting it scratched and dirty.

!?

Do you not have any thought as to the country of manufacture surrounding the BG knife? Target.... China? How convenient. FNA bra. Not to be a total pric% but possibly seeking out and investing in an American made product, especially a knife, may be the way to go brother. Trust me... a leather handle USMC KA-BAR 7" fighting knife will suit your 'survival' needs just fine. They have the great ass end that you can pound in someones temple in with just prior to your tent stake. And it won't know the difference. If that doesn't fit your need for the magazine editors 5" stipulation, I'd go with a Benchmade or a Case that fits your fancy.

Embrace something you can pass on to your child's, child with pride.

TTS

Whoa there, Squirrel Talker. How 'bout taking a breath and checking the hate mail. Why not start your own thread on buying American in an appropriate section, like "rants." I did enjoy the irony of you ranting about a British guy choosing a Finnish company to make his products in China. Last I heard Bear didn't become an American and Gerber is owned by Fiskars.
This has been a lively discussion about survival knives, and Ka-Bars are fine American made knives, steeped in tradition and history. but they aren't survival knives, they are combat knives. Sure, like any big, quality blade, they will accomplish many a camp chore just fine, but they belong in a different class from survival.
I am confident that my EESE-4 will stand up to any survival challenge, and it is American made too.

Now back to testing the zombie apocalypse value of some knives by dicing a cardboard box!
:rolleyes:

I am partial to a carbon steel blade. If you take care of your blade, it will take care of you. For store bought, I would go with something from Ontario Knife Co or Ka Bar. But for the best survival knife, I would say it's the one that you have made or the one that you are able to make. It's not that hard and what a great skill. Nothing like glowing orange steel at midnight !!

I had a military knife when I was a kid that I made the mistake of giving away when I got a USN mk2 Kabar. I'd really like to replace it. It was a RH Pal 36, a civilian hunting knife drafted into military service. It had a 6 1/4" parkerized blade if I remember right.

I am partial to a carbon steel blade. If you take care of your blade, it will take care of you. For store bought, I would go with something from Ontario Knife Co or Ka Bar. But for the best survival knife, I would say it's the one that you have made or the one that you are able to make. It's not that hard and what a great skill. Nothing like glowing orange steel at midnight !!

What process do you use to harden the blade?

I am kinda partial to my Justin Gingrich RD7 I picked up here on the ODT not too long ago...very good hard use knife.

photo copy 4.JPG

Attachments

• photo copy 5.JPG
    photo copy 5.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 42
I have an Ontario RAT-5 that I've been using during camping trips for several years now. The knife is a complete tank, holds a really good edge and can even do some finer work with the tip. I highly recommend one....you can get them for around $ 80 online.

I have an Ontario RAT-5 that I've been using during camping trips for several years now. The knife is a complete tank, holds a really good edge and can even do some finer work with the tip. I highly recommend one....you can get them for around $ 80 online.

I have looked at the Rat series knives as well....I am super impressed with the build quality of the RD7 and have handled the Rat knives and see the simularities between the two knives for sure..good stuff....the edge of the RD7 is impressive in how well it takes and holds a good sharpening...

Back
Top Bottom