• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Big Green Egg

Table would be stained... Would never use the pine or other wood service for food prep....

I don't know that I will either. However, with the cypress table for $260 in Auburn and a large BGE with a cast iron platesetter for $800 (with tax), I was into a much nicer table for about the same money. To me that was a no-brainer. The pine table at Ace is not very nice. You're going to have to stain/seal it anyway, so why not get a nicer table? That was my logic at least.

I don't know that I will either. However, with the cypress table for $260 in Auburn and a large BGE with a cast iron platesetter for $800 (with tax), I was into a much nicer table for about the same money. To me that was a no-brainer. The pine table at Ace is not very nice. You're going to have to stain/seal it anyway, so why not get a nicer table? That was my logic at least.

Sounds like you do have a nice set up at a nice price.... Where for $800?

image.jpeg
Raining is not a problem. Just depends on how bad you want to get out and drink a beer and smoke a Boston butt

The one near me has a large with pine table for $1000. I ended up not going that route and bought a cypress table separate.
I built my table after I purchased egg and nest. I build my out of pressure treated lumber and bought a piece of scrap granite for the working side. I think I have $75 and a couple evenings.

I had never cooked a boston butt in my life. I've done 2 cooks (both Boston Butts) on the Egg, and they've both quite literally been some of the best pork ever. It makes it (almost) idiot proof. Don't get me wrong, I was fiddling with the temp pretty often (and ran out of lump) and there is a learning curve I'm still battling, but they're pretty awesome.

After I smoke a butt I shut down the egg, wrap butt in foil and put it back on egg for 2 hours. Seems to hold the moisture for me.

My step daughter worked at a place that sold BGE. They BGE had a one time offer for large egg for $500 with plate setter and nest. That's when I took the plunge.

Ain't no way I would prep my food on any type wood. Especially wood that is outside all the time.

Scarp granite is cheap granite countertop. Easy to clean, can sit hot things on it and clean with Clorox wipes. This way any wood can be used. There was a guy on here giving away scraps. I think he is in Buford.

Back
Top Bottom