• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Black Drawing Salve?

Memories! In the early 50's it wasn't uncommon to develop a risin or boil and when they came up they hurt like the devil. Middle of my chest is where they seemed to like to develop. Once they were up and bright red, mom would put the black drawin salve on it and cover it with a bandage so it didn't get all over my shirt. It would come to a head the next day and mom would grab me, press down really hard and the boil would split and a big nasty head and junk would come pouring out. Hurt like heck but then went away in a couple of days.

Methoalite burned like the devil. Glass bottle with rubber tipped glass applicator. Still remember the smell.

Bee stings at Grandmother's house would get a dab of snuff out of her lower lip on it. It would draw the poison and feel better fast. I got stabbed in the arm with a newly sharpened pencil I had in my back pocket, when I jumped off her front porch. I went crying to her with a big chunk of pencil sticking out of my arm. She pulled it out, packed the hole with chewed snuff and sent me back to playing. Still have the scar today.

Watkins Salve was great for everything. Petro-carbo salve was the name of the salve on the red and black can after the Watkins logo.

Dang, I'm old, turning 72 soon.

Interesting thread... enjoyed reading and reminders of growing up. We had everything others had listed and another one no one has listed - forgive spelling - Camfophoenique. Came in small green bottle and it smelled like some sort of petroleum product. It was a thin liquid we used for insect bites, scrapes and to clean wounds before using black salve.

Ah, good times! Wonder how folks up north ever got through childhood!!

Attachments

• B970B32A-D472-40ED-B100-9C3A7CF124D5.jpeg
    B970B32A-D472-40ED-B100-9C3A7CF124D5.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
SeaBreeze was another remedy, mostly boric acid I think, but it stung like hell, would burn your skin if you used too much or too often on the same place. It did clear up any bug bites or possible infections though.
You was probably scrubbing too hard with your buff puff. Remember those?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom