• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blood sugar problems? Read this.

I haven't been following it perfectly, and my main goals were blood sugar related, not necessarily the weight. What I've found after 6 months is my blood sugar is more stable than it used to be and I can slip up and eat something bad and my blood sugar doesn't go as crazy as it used to. Before it would spike up and stay elevated for a day or so, I would have to really fight to get it back down. Now it will be elevated not as high, but comes back down much sooner. Granted, I'm not following this diet as well as I should be either.

I joined my wife in eating a ketogenic diet (less than 20 grams of carbohydrate per day) last July. In 3 months I had dropped 30 pounds and felt great with high energy levels throughout the day. I've been maintaining my weight on a low carb diet (less than 50 grams of carbohydrate per day) and enjoying fresh fruits and vegetables from the garden this summer. The key is realizing that sugar is in everything and eliminating the high processed sugars/foods while introducing some exercise into your routine (even just walking regularly). Drink copious amounts of water (approx half your body weight in ounces of water per day). I eventually introduced intermittent fasting into my routine where I would not eat from approximately 8pm until 11 or 12 the next day, but I would have coffee in the morning with heavy cream. To replace sodas we drink seltzer water with a lemon or lime squeezed in it and it is satisfying. Anyway, good luck to you all who are exploring this as a lifestyle change and well done to those who already have.

Quick update on my Keto progress, currently down 36 pounds. Wife is not as far as she has "lapses" on occasion. If I could get her to stop getting a diet Coke about every other day, I'm sure she would be further along. Her work environment also makes it tougher than mine. Biggest thing I have noticed is that I check labels and try to make smart choices instead of just grabbing XYZ on the shelf at the supermarket.

Quick update on my Keto progress, currently down 36 pounds. Wife is not as far as she has "lapses" on occasion. If I could get her to stop getting a diet Coke about every other day, I'm sure she would be further along. Her work environment also makes it tougher than mine. Biggest thing I have noticed is that I check labels and try to make smart choices instead of just grabbing XYZ on the shelf at the supermarket.
That's awesome progress!

I’ve really enjoyed the experience. At the begenning the first change I made was I started drinking a single cup of black coffee every morning, even though I can’t stand it to help me not want a coke, and it’s gone good from there.
Update:
Down 63lbs in 6 months, back to a good weight. Still eating healthy with slow introduction of more health carbs IE: sweet potatoes & carrots. My wife is down 15lbs, although she didn't have much to lose. Cutting out the sugars and carbs has made a world of difference that no amount of excersise can negate.
Drink Preference:
Water, Powerade Zero, Unsweet Tea, Coffee, Mich Ultra, and Vodka with lemon juice.

Back
Top Bottom