• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boiled Linseed Oil stock finish question

I've stored BLO rags in ziplock bags for years. I never had what I'd call a 'soaked' rag, but dang. No more of that.

They won't spontaneously combust in a ziplock bag. What makes them combust is the larger surface area exposed to air, with an oxidizng material on them. The BLO oxidizes (usually because it has chemicals added to it to make it do so) and the rags are usually cotton, providing the kindling. And it's not just BLO, any oil will do it, which is why shops that have a lot of oily rags are supposed to have safety cans, with sealed tops that do the same thing as your zip lock bag.

They won't spontaneously combust in a ziplock bag. What makes them combust is the larger surface area exposed to air, with an oxidizng material on them. The BLO oxidizes (usually because it has chemicals added to it to make it do so) and the rags are usually cotton, providing the kindling. And it's not just BLO, any oil will do it, which is why shops that have a lot of oily rags are supposed to have safety cans, with sealed tops that do the same thing as your zip lock bag.
Good to know. Thank you. That's a safer temporary storage for me than my can.

If you’re gonna keep yer linseed oil in a sealed ziplock it might help to put the ziplock in the fridge.

I once kept an open roller wet in the fridge fer a month. Wrapped in Saran Wrap. The wife was not pleased.

Back
Top Bottom