• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bonded Title

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
I have a bonded title from 2018 (1986 Honda Nighthawk). Reading internet sources seem to indicate that, in the state of Georgia, after four years the bond expires and the title is eligible for conversion to a clear title. Other states vary between three and five years, but GA is four years.

I went up to the tag office today and they'd never heard of that. They even called the state while I stood there and asked them, but based on me hearing one side of the conversation, it sounded like the person on the other end of the phone didn't exactly know what a bonded title was, but thought it was similar to a salvage title.... which once salvaged, always salvaged... so the state employee said always bonded, which I'm pretty sure is not the case.

Anyone with experience clearing a bonded title after four years and how to go about it?

Yep, that's discussing the initial bonding of the title at the transfer. For me that occurred in 2018. It's six years later and I'm trying to convert the bonded title to a clear title now that the bond has expired after four years.

Once a title is bonded, in the state of Georgia claims on the bond are permissible for a period of four years. After that, the bond expires and you're supposed to be able to convert the bonded title to a clear title, but I'm not sure of the procedure for doing it and nobody I've spoken with at the local tag office or at the state level seem to know what a bonded title is.

I would just contact the Department of Revenue. I went to the office in Atlanta and got a replacement title the same day. From my understanding, after the 4 years, you can have them issue a title with the “bonded” part removed if you want. Unless you plan on selling it or trading it in, you don’t have to do that as the title that you have now is perfectly fine.

In for answers.

I had to get a title bond and then quickly applied for and received the title from the state. It says "subject to a title bond" in normal size print on the title document's face.

That was in August 2022.

One day when I'm ready to sell this 1996 motorcycle, I would like to have clear title in my name.

I've bonded a few years ago but didn't hang on to any of them long enough for it to have the issue you're dealing with. Although I have never heard of one expiring.

Back
Top Bottom