• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boresight Question Research, Help participate!!!!

Is boresight important?

• Yes

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
Your avatar says Field Artillery but I'm thinking you're an engineer... What is the benefit of such an app over a laser boresighter I stick on the end of the muzzle with a magnet? Just curious because that works great and is super easy.
"Avatar says Field Artillery but I'm thinking you're an engineer." That is funny. Now the serious stuff. The advantage is being precise and taking out the error. The app will ask for the diameter of your scope, and the make and caliber of your rifle. It has access to the SAMMI tables that list the chamber dimensions of all rifles and the pressure standards. The app only uses the chamber specs from the table to determine the center of the chamber it will also use the scope diameter to locate the center of the scope for the line of sight. Once the app locates the chamber with the help of the chamber insert it knows that directly above it is the scope center. The phone has a sensor that determines the vertical line. Along this line is the height of the scope above the chamber. Where the vertical line and the line of sight meet they form a 90 degree angle and the line of sight is where the app will go out whatever distance you tell it 25 or 100 yards for example.
All that is left is to figure out the side that represents the line of bore sloping up to meet the line of sight. Best part it stores all this based on your rifle for recall whenever you want it. I think of all the uppers and scopes I can change on my favorite lower with all the zeros saved. Hope I answered the question. Thanks

I don't think this will work to the level of accuracy you are trying for. When you can shoot different ammo in a rifle and each sample of ammo gives you a different POI without ever touching the sights, how can this device do anything other than give a rough preliminary zero?

You will still need to actually shoot the rifle to refine the zero or confirm it on a previously zeroed rifle.
The best method is to find ammunition that performs best in your rifle, once you find that you buy a large lot as it will perform the same way every time (mostly every time) then you having done the boresight and the zero you know the deviation of the ammunition and the conditions that you zeroed your rifle. Going to a deer stand at o dark thirty and having a means to verify your zero may come in handy for some, I can think of circumstances that validating your sight setting would be good. Thanks for the question.

I think the aim is to be able to recheck zero without firing ? It sounds a bit like overkill to replace bore sighting, if it works.

2-3 shots at 20 yards will get you close enough to move out to 100 to sight.
The boresight is a method to find the chamber as a reference point, you are right it is overkill. To record the zero you have to have a point of reference, and that is the main intent of the app, to record the zero. Thanks for the response.

has anyone use this?
upload_2017-12-15_0-53-20.png
RecordFire will sell to beta testers for $55 with a retail price of $85. Pyser
state the following: Until now, laser boresight devices have been the default means of confirming or re-zeroing weapons without firing a shot. The problem with this is that laser boresighting equipment is inherently inaccurate, causing an M4 to be off by as much as 8 MOA.

Forgot to mention, That the app can tell if the scope is canted. All you need to do is set the app crosshairs on the scope crosshairs and note any difference. The app tracks vertically much like a plumb line.

Back
Top Bottom