• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bow season is upon us!!

See my earlier post:

And yeah, hunting the plots is good training wheels hunting for the kids. Bottom line is if you are totin a gun and where the deer will be, how much challenge is it to line up the sights and pull the trigger. I've done it so it's not like I'm speaking as an outsider. If I really wanted the meat I'd jump all over it..it's easy. But for the "sport"? Yep, take a bow instead. Hunt something that can hunt you back. Do SOMETHING other than kill a stupid herbivore with a high power rifle before you call it sport.

Boar, Bear, Gator..heck even squirrel with a 22...all more sport and challenge. Squirrel is a lot of fun too. They are such little smart asses. ;)
I don't for sport only, food is my main concern! Teaching my little girl where food comes from is something I enjoy, she has learned the meat does not originate in the back of a grocery store. It is a tradition of hunting in my family that I am doing everything in my power to keep alive. Whether I use a bow or a gun either way it puts good food on the table that has not been injected with hormones. I bow hunt 90% of the time but in that 10% of the time when I blast Bambi with a .270 I don't feel any different about what I have done. Food is food no matter how it gets to the table.

I don't for sport only, food is my main concern! Teaching my little girl where food comes from is something I enjoy, she has learned the meat does not originate in the back of a grocery store. It is a tradition of hunting in my family that I am doing everything in my power to keep alive. Whether I use a bow or a gun either way it puts good food on the table that has not been injected with hormones. I bow hunt 90% of the time but in that 10% of the time when I blast Bambi with a .270 I don't feel any different about what I have done. Food is food no matter how it gets to the table.

Yeah, wish someone had taught my wife at a young age. She loves tilapia and chicken but when I suggested raising some as part of my prepping/renewable food goals she told me flat out she did NOT want to eat fish or chicken that way. She said she is fine with frozen fish but not interested in them fresh killed. Hmm..lol

I don't have a problem with the food is food thing. Nor do I think anyone should feel at all bad for hunting. But it's just not much of a challenge when you hardly have to leave home to reach out and touch one with an awesome rifle. I own a 270 and a 30.06, but I also own 4 30-30s and when/if I hunt it will be with one of the 30-30s. And my only concession to a scope is to compensate for getting old in the eyes. Actually, I more likely load up the 5 round mag for the AK and hunt with it rather than the 270 or 30.06. Wouldn't want to take a 30 round mag out...people might get the wrong idea. ;)

I hope we have a cooler fall, last year was brutal hunting in September!

That's the main reason why I don't like bow hunting. I can't stand being annoyed by all the bugs. Say what you want, it's just not for me. I'd rather be in a tree stand in -5 degrees than in a tree stand in 70 degrees.

Yeah, wish someone had taught my wife at a young age. She loves tilapia and chicken but when I suggested raising some as part of my prepping/renewable food goals she told me flat out she did NOT want to eat fish or chicken that way. She said she is fine with frozen fish but not interested in them fresh killed. Hmm..lol

I don't have a problem with the food is food thing. Nor do I think anyone should feel at all bad for hunting. But it's just not much of a challenge when you hardly have to leave home to reach out and touch one with an awesome rifle. I own a 270 and a 30.06, but I also own 4 30-30s and when/if I hunt it will be with one of the 30-30s. And my only concession to a scope is to compensate for getting old in the eyes. Actually, I more likely load up the 5 round mag for the AK and hunt with it rather than the 270 or 30.06. Wouldn't want to take a 30 round mag out...people might get the wrong idea. ;)
I do a little prepping myself and have for years, one of the biggest parts of self reliance will be having the knowledge and ability to feed yourself. Whether it be from wild plants to the animals that roam about. I have hunted and eat just about everything in the state of GA except gator and I should have enough points to draw a tag for that next year. Oh and talking about the AK that funny cause I just got some 10 round mags for the ar, I'm wanting to smack a deer with a 223 this year. I kind of thought the same thing about the 30 rounders.

I do a little prepping myself and have for years, one of the biggest parts of self reliance will be having the knowledge and ability to feed yourself. Whether it be from wild plants to the animals that roam about. I have hunted and eat just about everything in the state of GA except gator and I should have enough points to draw a tag for that next year. Oh and talking about the AK that funny cause I just got some 10 round mags for the ar, I'm wanting to smack a deer with a 223 this year. I kind of thought the same thing about the 30 rounders.

Yeah...Bambi...meet Rambo! BLAM! BANG! POWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOW!!!!!

LOL!

Dunno bout hunting gator bt I sure like eating them.;)

Yeah...Bambi...meet Rambo! BLAM! BANG! POWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOWPOW!!!!!

LOL!

Dunno bout hunting gator bt I sure like eating them.;)
HA HA HA:D I hope for a one shot kill! The gator will be a blast, I have been on 2 hunt but this will be my first time pulling the trigger! Talk about something that will get your heart pounding is when you pull an 8-10 foot live gator up beside a short sided boat after sticking him with an arrow! That's when stuff get real!

Back
Top Bottom