Brand of Ammo in your CCW

I am a little surprised that anyone would carry handloads anymore. If you ever have to use them and end up in a hostile legal situation, you are just giving the prosecution another free pass to attack you.
I've seen this brought up before and I understand why people think that could happen but I've never heard of a case where that was an issue if the shoot was legal.

Like a lot of people have posted I also have Hornady Critical Defense in my EDC's.

I've seen this brought up before and I understand why people think that could happen but I've never heard of a case where that was an issue if the shoot was legal.

It may very well be an gun store legend, but it's still a factor to consider. Also, another reason is explained below is from Ayoob's "Combat Shooting..." book.

=============================================
While it’s a slam-dunk to defend your use of hollow point ammo, the use of handloads in a shooting presents much more serious problems to your defense team.

Defensive shootings are often very close-range affairs in which gunshot residue (GSR) from your muzzle is deposited on your attacker’s body or clothing. This can become a critical evidentiary factor if the other side insists he was too far away from you to endanger you at the moment he was shot.

The distance testing is done with exemplar ammunition, that is, ammo identical to what was in your gun, but not the same exact cartridges.

Don't count on the crime lab testing the remaining rounds from your weapon as taken into evidence at the shooting scene. If the fight was sufficiently intense, there may not be any rounds left in the gun that saved your life. Even if there are remaining cartridges in evidence, they may not be tested.

The prosecutor can argue, “Your honor, firing those cartridges consumes them! It’s destructive testing! The defense is asking the Court’s permission to destroy the evidence! You cannot allow it!”

Do you think that’s a BS argument? So did I…until I saw a judge accept it, in a case where handloads were used in the death weapon, but the state crime lab tested with a much more powerful factory load, based on the headstamp on the reloaded casings.

That gave a false indication of distance involved, and the defendant – whom I have strong reason to believe was innocent – was convicted of manslaughter.

It may very well be an gun store legend, but it's still a factor to consider. Also, another reason is explained below is from Ayoob's "Combat Shooting..." book.

=============================================
While it’s a slam-dunk to defend your use of hollow point ammo, the use of handloads in a shooting presents much more serious problems to your defense team.

Defensive shootings are often very close-range affairs in which gunshot residue (GSR) from your muzzle is deposited on your attacker’s body or clothing. This can become a critical evidentiary factor if the other side insists he was too far away from you to endanger you at the moment he was shot.

The distance testing is done with exemplar ammunition, that is, ammo identical to what was in your gun, but not the same exact cartridges.

Don't count on the crime lab testing the remaining rounds from your weapon as taken into evidence at the shooting scene. If the fight was sufficiently intense, there may not be any rounds left in the gun that saved your life. Even if there are remaining cartridges in evidence, they may not be tested.

The prosecutor can argue, “Your honor, firing those cartridges consumes them! It’s destructive testing! The defense is asking the Court’s permission to destroy the evidence! You cannot allow it!”

Do you think that’s a BS argument? So did I…until I saw a judge accept it, in a case where handloads were used in the death weapon, but the state crime lab tested with a much more powerful factory load, based on the headstamp on the reloaded casings.

That gave a false indication of distance involved, and the defendant – whom I have strong reason to believe was innocent – was convicted of manslaughter.

With all due respect to Mr. Ayoob, I'm not going to let one case out of hundreds, maybe thousands, of defensive shootings keep me up at night worried about handloads, especially in GA where we have the 'stand your ground' law and there is no duty to retreat.

Back
Top Bottom