• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brass knuckle question

I think a lot of people are underestimating that concentrated pressure point aspect you get with knuckles.

You don't have to hit them in the head and you probably don't want to, very likely it'll kill someone in one shot. A good rib hit or even in the shoulder(!) and I promise you they will back off. If from nothing else then surprise, cause they aren't expecting it to feel like that...

I could hand my 11yr old daughter brass knuckles and she could hurt you.
I think knucks are better suited for someone that can successfully throw and land a cross or overhand punch consistently. For someone that is not skilled in physical combat they are better off with a pepper/oc/vanilla / spray/ gel.

I think knucks are better suited for someone that can successfully throw and land a cross or overhand punch consistently. For someone that is not skilled in physical combat they are better off with a pepper/oc/vanilla / spray/ gel.

But then you don't get to see that change in their expression...

Couldn't even tell you when I got those knuckles but I think I was about 18.

The Holy Trinity -

20230930_112910.jpg

I was 13 when I bought these knuckles (1992) off of an ice cream man, that patrolled nw 27ave and 30 something street in Miami. View attachment 6563763

Jim's Pawn and Gun - Wilmington NC

Bought those and a police trade-in 870 the day I turned 18 if I remember correctly. You absolutely had to ask for "paperweights" back then.

Not sure if I've missed it in all the minutia, but if anyone is willing to do the leg work for the rest of us;

Where is the legal threshold for employing them is the real question. Obviously if you're justified in using a firearm in a given situation then you probably wouldn't be judged too harshly for using brass knuckles, baseball bat, etc. instead.

Now getting into a melee fight with someone is more than likely gonna bring charges your way. Whether by the state or in civil court until you prove they threw the first punch yadda yadda yadda.

But if someone starts a fistfight with you, and you reach for a baseball bat, pool cue, or your brass knuckles, what is the likelihood that you'll get hit with "assault with a deadly weapon" simply because the disparity of force now lies in your hands? One could argue that you have no clue how good a fighter that person is and that you are at a potential disadvantage. And further, you felt that if the other person gained the upper hand that they wouldn't stop hitting you until you suffered death or great bodily harm. And therefore did what you felt was necessary to save your own life.

Another scenario, you see someone else start getting whooped and you stop the beating by cracking the assaulter with a pool cue. They dont die but have nice bruise across their back or a light concussion.

Someone with more experience and knowledge than me, please humor this inquisition. Are these just one of those "depends on your lawyer and the DA/Jury/Judge" situations, or is there legal precedent?

Not sure if I've missed it in all the minutia, but if anyone is willing to do the leg work for the rest of us;

Where is the legal threshold for employing them is the real question. Obviously if you're justified in using a firearm in a given situation then you probably wouldn't be judged too harshly for using brass knuckles, baseball bat, etc. instead.

Now getting into a melee fight with someone is more than likely gonna bring charges your way. Whether by the state or in civil court until you prove they threw the first punch yadda yadda yadda.

But if someone starts a fistfight with you, and you reach for a baseball bat, pool cue, or your brass knuckles, what is the likelihood that you'll get hit with "assault with a deadly weapon" simply because the disparity of force now lies in your hands? One could argue that you have no clue how good a fighter that person is and that you are at a potential disadvantage. And further, you felt that if the other person gained the upper hand that they wouldn't stop hitting you until you suffered death or great bodily harm. And therefore did what you felt was necessary to save your own life.

Another scenario, you see someone else start getting whooped and you stop the beating by cracking the assaulter with a pool cue. They dont die but have nice bruise across their back or a light concussion.

Someone with more experience and knowledge than me, please humor this inquisition. Are these just one of those "depends on your lawyer and the DA/Jury/Judge" situations, or is there legal precedent?

See post #60

Back
Top Bottom