• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building a house. I need help with a fireplace decision.

Basic fire box within allowance, or the high efficiency fireplace for $5000 out of pocket?

• Basic firebox and just light a fire for looks.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Gucci fireplace for $5000 out of pocket.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Buy $5000 worth of TACOS!!!!!!

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Get an old wood stove cooker. It's nice to look at and will increase in value.

zLincoln_stove.jpg

If you want to use it for heat, go with a wood stove, not a fireplace.

I use a wood stove for most of my heating and a heat pump for those milder but still cold nights.

Your 5 grand option sounds like a fireplace/woodstove hybrid. Much better efficiency and lower cost with a real woodstove, open on all sides to the room and not built into a wall.

ditch the fire place, get a high quality insert. Should be about half the figure you quote, and it is practical.

Fireplace is for show - looks pretty, nice to sit by and drink, make whoopee on the floor, but never will be practical.

We just built and my wife insisted upon a fireplace. It was her only real request so we have one... it is the equivalent use of sticking a $5,000 VW bus in the center of the house. Takes up space and has no use except as a visual feature. She even hates the smell so no "decorative fires" either... just a waste of space and money in my view.
BUT, she COULD say the same thing about my safe and some of the stuff I had in it before the boating accident but she doesn't! Happy Wife=Happy Life!

Well after all the comments we are going with the basic firebox with a blower, so we can have a fire, and make a little heat, and spend the 5 grand on other stuff. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sounds like a sound decision.

We had a futon in front of the fireplace, and we could make quite a bit of heat on it.

Back
Top Bottom