roundhouse

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
16   0
Reaction score
For my new apartment we are looking at doing a walk in shower ,
Anyone ever built these ?

Any tips to share ?

I didn't think it was to bad. I mudded in a slope. Set the right kind of drain that pinches the rubber membrane. Then lay the grout bed. If you're shower isn't so big that it doesn't require 2 pieces of rubber it should be somewhat fool proof.

I want to do the same thing.
I'd rather have a pro do it, but all the quotes I'm getting for converting a tub/shower combo to walk in are $10K and up. Apparent;y these "contractors" don't know about You Tube.
I'm going to do it myself. It will be slow, because I'm slow, and I really don't need to shower that often,

I'm impressed with the Schluter system, because it's sort of paint by the numbers if you go slow.

Showers done badly are one of the most expensive ways you can imagine to ruin a house.

There's a reason a good tile shower will cost a good chunk of change. Not saying it can't be done right by a newbie, but if you screw it up you will definitely be dealing with water damage, especially if it's on an upper floor.

Pros??? Good luck finding competent help. I did our master bath earlier this year myself for 2 reasons: First, finding someone who knows what they are doing, especially up here in the mountains, is hard. Second, while it took me a month+ to do it (little downtime with an injury) there was ZERO disruption to the house, pets, etc. And in hindsight, I did what I think is a better job then most "pros". These days YouTube is a big help. Hard to get full room shots so these are the best before and after. Spent about 9k in material but figured we saved 10K in labor!!!

Attachments

• master bath old3.jpg
    master bath old3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 56
  • master bath new7.jpg
    master bath new7.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 54
  • master bath old5.jpg
    master bath old5.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 51
  • master bath new2.jpg
    master bath new2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 52
  • master bath new 1.jpg
    master bath new 1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 53
  • master bath new9.jpg
    master bath new9.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 56
Kohler makes a shower receptor (pan) made of cast iron (not cheap plastic) designed to fit in the same footprint as a bath tub, drain and all. It’s bullet proof pan all you need to do is put up the durarock walls and tile away. Check it out @kohler.com/shower receptor.

Back
Top Bottom