• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Building custom shower ?

We just completed total remodel of our master bath...gutted right to the studs and started fresh.
Remodel on bathroom #2 starts on Monday.
Highly satisfied with our contractor !! Their work quality actually convinced us to do the second bath.
We supplied all materials...they provided design, suggestions, labor, and cleanup.

Wait until you price custom shower gla$$............

Just make that you vet your contractor if you go that route. Some A**H*** contractor put in my son's curbless shower with no drain pain. When it started to leak it took out the ceiling below which then we discover they had notched a joist for a drain line basically eliminating any support strength it had. Fortunately, insurance picked up most of the repair cost.

Just make that you vet your contractor if you go that route. Some A**H*** contractor put in my son's curbless shower with no drain pain. When it started to leak it took out the ceiling below which then we discover they had notched a joist for a drain line basically eliminating any support strength it had. Fortunately, insurance picked up most of the repair cost
The only thing I did not do myself on my master bath remodel is the glass. This glass cost us $2300

Attachments

• master bath new2.jpg
    master bath new2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 29
Just make that you vet your contractor if you go that route. Some A**H*** contractor put in my son's curbless shower with no drain pain. When it started to leak it took out the ceiling below which then we discover they had notched a joist for a drain line basically eliminating any support strength it had. Fortunately, insurance picked up most of the repair cost.
Most of the YouTube videos the curb less showers don’t have drain pans

Seems like a good idea though .

Kohler makes a shower receptor (pan) made of cast iron (not cheap plastic) designed to fit in the same footprint as a bath tub, drain and all. It’s bullet proof pan all you need to do is put up the durarock walls and tile away. Check it out @kohler.com/shower receptor.
Do I need to use something like the schluter membrane over the durock?

Most of the YouTube videos the curb less showers don’t have drain pans

Seems like a good idea though .
Probably should have said waterproof membrane. My son had mushrooms growing at the wall edge and and any water that sat on the grout just drained onto the plywood underlayment. I am not sure they had any real motar bed.

I used to do this for a living so, I always did it the old school way with a mortar bed, cement board and a moisture barrier(very important)! If you don’t know let a pro do the base/bed and seal everything good. I always used red guard by custom building products available at Home Depot and put more than one coat until thickness of a dime. Then you can set the tile (YouTube) however you like.
0B7BE762-5994-4619-8398-74C4F365CEB7.jpeg

I used to do this for a living so, I always did it the old school way with a mortar bed, cement board and a moisture barrier(very important)! If you don’t know let a pro do the base/bed and seal everything good. I always used red guard by custom building products available at Home Depot and put more than one coat until thickness of a dime. Then you can set the tile (YouTube) however you like.View attachment 5826726
Ok
So we install the durock , then seal the seams and screws with thinset

Then coat it all with redguard ?

We are using the castico base,

Do we put durock under the base and seal it too ?

Or should we set the base on the plywood and have the durock overlap the sides ?

And since we are tiling the floor , do we use durock on the floor and if so do we seal it with redguard too ?

And does the red guard on top of the cement board count as moisture barrier ?
Or is there something else I need to install on top of the durock and under the red guard ?

Back
Top Bottom