• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Butt suggestions

How do butts slice? Have done rib roasts but never tried a butt. Love me some thin sliced pork.
If I’m gonna slice, which I do more than pulled, I don’t buy a prepackaged butt. Usually try to find one with as little marbling as possible and take the fat cap off totally. Publix usually has some fresh ones. Mustard binder and what ever rub you like HEAVY. I dont spritz and I don’t wrap. Pull it any where around 170-180. Let it set out and cool down a bit before I wrap in towels and put in a cooler till I’m ready to slice. Don’t want it to keep cooking.
Most of the time I slice really thin with no issues other than it makes a helluva mess of the slicer…
I’m a sliced butt slut.
Oh… and like Fuelman said…debone and tie back

If I’m gonna slice, which I do more than pulled, I don’t buy a prepackaged butt. Usually try to find one with as little marbling as possible and take the fat cap off totally. Publix usually has some fresh ones. Mustard binder and what ever rub you like HEAVY. I dont spritz and I don’t wrap. Pull it any where around 170-180. Let it set out and cool down a bit before I wrap in towels and put in a cooler till I’m ready to slice. Don’t want it to keep cooking.
Most of the time I slice really thin with no issues other than it makes a helluva mess of the slicer…
I’m a sliced butt slut.
Oh… and like Fuelman said…debone and tie back
What slicer do you have? Never tried it I’m in!

What slicer do you have? Never tried it I’m in!
You’ll love it!
I was lucky to score a used commercial Hobart 12 in. when my Aunt closed a small sandwich shop she had over 10 yrs ago. I’ve heard the high end ones from Bass Pro are good. I have a buddy that has one and he says it does well. It makes a mess outta the slicer but the cleanup is well worth it to me. I use mine to make venison and beef jerky too.

So, put the butt on at 9pm. Set the RecTeq to low (180deg) and figured I’d let it go for a few hours like that. Set my alarm for 2am to check. Woke up at 5:30! F#! Alarm was set for weekdays only. Well, internal temp was only at 145drg and man does it look good. Raised temp to 250deg and currently at 160deg internal so will be putting it into pan and wrapping shortly. Lucked out on this one.

IMG_3096.jpeg
IMG_3097.jpeg

iu

Coat liberally with this and a bit of brown sugar. I usually slice jalapenos in half and insert a few in between muscle groups as well. prepare as usual and you will have a semi spicy treat that makes great tacos with a bit of a different flavor.
I have never thought of this before. I'm going to give it a shot. I love jerk flavor. I bet this is great.

iu

Coat liberally with this and a bit of brown sugar. I usually slice jalapenos in half and insert a few in between muscle groups as well. prepare as usual and you will have a semi spicy treat that makes great tacos with a bit of a different flavor.

I have never thought of this before. I'm going to give it a shot. I love jerk flavor. I bet this is great.

I use that stuff on my smoked turkeys. :hungry:

Back
Top Bottom