• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a pistol for my grandson

I've done one of three things in the past here. #3 is the one I choose to do if the gun is available at a price I'm willing to give.
1.Buy the gun, fill out the 4473, give it away.
2. Give the person the cash to pay for the gun, they fill out the 4473 and pay for the gun
3. Skip all the BS and search ODT for the gun and buy it at a local meet up, give it away.

A common complaint amongst FFL's is that they'll get audited one year, and make changes due to the findings of the ATF auditor.

A few years later they'll get audited again, with a different ATF auditor this go 'round. That auditor will look at what they've done, per the advice of the previous ATF auditor, tell them that it is wrong, and gig them for it.

I’m NOT defending the ATF. But that’s in all industries. I deal with this constantly in my food production industry. One auditor says I smoked it, passed with flying colors. A new one comes in the following year and wonders how we can even get product out the door. It’s not the rules. It’s the person at the time interpretation of the rules. It’s insane.

Purchasing a gun for someone who is prohibited by law from possessing one, or for someone who does not want his or her name associated with the transaction, is a “straw purchase,” a Federal crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000.
This is ATF definition of straw purchase directly from their website.

A common complaint amongst FFL's is that they'll get audited one year, and make changes due to the findings of the ATF auditor.

A few years later they'll get audited again, with a different ATF auditor this go 'round. That auditor will look at what they've done, per the advice of the previous ATF auditor, tell them that it is wrong, and gig them for it.

Well boo ****in hoo lol.... that type of **** happens to normal people all the time (considerably more frequently I might add). Don't feel special.

Disclaimer - i got no love for FFLs.

Back
Top Bottom