• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying a pistol for my grandson

A couple of years ago I purchased at auction, a particular gun as a gift. I being a GA resident was in AZ at the time and the gift was for my roommate who was O-3 active duty Air Force.

I went down to the lgs and every way I could think of to possibly transfer the gift was deemed a straw purchase by the local FFL.....

A couple of years ago I purchased at auction, a particular gun as a gift. I being a GA resident was in AZ at the time and the gift was for my roommate who was O-3 active duty Air Force.

I went down to the lgs and every way I could think of to possibly transfer the gift was deemed a straw purchase by the local FFL.....
FFL's are just people. Some get it wrong. The ATF doesn't train you to be an FFL. You just get a license and basically have to figure it out for yourself.

I don't recall stating that I (me specifically), we (FFL's in general), or any other group were "special", and I sure as hell don't feel special........except for sometimes in that eatin' crayons special sort of way.

I was explaining issues that occur when you have government oversight, and used the ATF specifically as an example. As 300_whisper 300_whisper pointed out, this issue is not limited to only the ATF, but occurs all over.

Sorry if I hurt your widdle feewings by using an example that did not include you specifically. I will attempt to be more inclusive in the future.

Seems like you took it personally, relax officer... and save your long winded replies for someone else.

Is there a differentiation between buying for someone prohibited and someone not prohibited from possessing in the context of straw purchasing ? Looks to me that the OP, nor the grandson are prohibited from possessing a firearm. I assume that the firearm was already paid for by the OP so the ffl will only have to do the 4473 and transfer the gun to the grandson. Does it matter who paid for it ?

Back
Top Bottom