• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C&R renewal

I was going to let mine go. It's just simpler and cheaper these days to have it shipped to a reasonably-priced FFL. The only reason I didn't let it go was because then I'd need to send my bound book into the ATF. I know, I know, I'm already on a bunch of their lists, but it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I also have to say it makes having more than a couple of firearms a lot more 'legit' in people's eyes if you can say you are a federally licensed collector rather than a 'gun nut with an arsenal'.

I had to go through a security clearance process at work last year, and there were lots of 'do you have more than ___ guns?' questions on them. A lot of coworkers got calls asking them to explain why they had more than 2 guns. I answered to their largest number (I think it was 'more than 5'), answered that I was a collector, and never heard a peep. I almost wanted them to call so I could send them my C&R FFL.

I was going to let mine go. It's just simpler and cheaper these days to have it shipped to a reasonably-priced FFL. The only reason I didn't let it go was because then I'd need to send my bound book into the ATF. I know, I know, I'm already on a bunch of their lists, but it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I also have to say it makes having more than a couple of firearms a lot more 'legit' in people's eyes if you can say you are a federally licensed collector rather than a 'gun nut with an arsenal'.

I had to go through a security clearance process at work last year, and there were lots of 'do you have more than ___ guns?' questions on them. A lot of coworkers got calls asking them to explain why they had more than 2 guns. I answered to their largest number (I think it was 'more than 5'), answered that I was a collector, and never heard a peep. I almost wanted them to call so I could send them my C&R FFL.
You don't need to send them your bound book if you let your license expire. I still have mine.

Yup, your right. There's a line in small print that says C&R holders don't have to send in their books. Guess now I know for next time.

Back
Top Bottom