• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

C3 Billet Lower - Stuck Buffer retaining pin

It can be a difference in the tooling as well. As the tools dull they will produce parts with smaller holes. Its amazing the difference a couple of thousandths can make when fitting parts together.

True, but it should have been caught in QC. Considering the typical cost of a billet lower vs forged, I'd be pretty annoyed.

My C3 Enhanced billet lower went together just as easy as my Noveske's, PSAs, Spikes, etc. I've have however seen major differences in LPK tolerences. Will never buy another DPMS kit.

It's like Déjà vu all over again.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/477128-Stuck-buffer-tube-detent?highlight=buffer

Been there done that. The story I got was the C3 lowers had/have very tight buffer retainer holes milled. Since C3 is defunct ... so much for any warranty. I cussed, I heated, I cooled, I broke two pair of needle nose pliers. I tried to avoid the dreaded Dremel tool. But I was at my wits end. Get a bit at Wal-Mart it's a cylinder slightly smaller then the hole. Grind down the tip. It is not aluminum and the tool wants to bounce but take it slow. Get the nub off and now there is a flat surface. Take a small bit and tap a hole in the center. Then take a bigger bit and just get a bite into the metal, reverse the drill and it should pop out. I then took a larger bit a reamed that hole out just a few thousandths...
The whole buffer retainer is for ease of cleaning it is actually not required for the tube/spring to function. If you can get the upper/lower mated without the buffer spring sprongeing (new word) It works... If you dont want to Dremel spend $130 on the JP captured buffer spring... It has some nice benefits.

Last edited:
OK I think we have a quorum, time to make that One Call Thats All... Sounds like a class action law suite :p I agree with other post.... It in no way is in spec, the lowers are POS compared to say Seekins, Black Rain, Sun Devil... just to name a few. The story why I wanted one is only because of the company name "C3" When I was in Uncle Sam's canoe club I was a Chief Missile Technician. My billet was 3313 and I supported the "C3" Poseidon missile. Just a little nostalgia. I had a quest to find a C3 upper too. Do a search just on ODT... I'd bet that there were many, many C3 lowers pawned off....

This is my latest garage build C3 gen 2 lower Midwest Industries billet upper. All went together without a hitch. I just thought my buffer retainer bobble head problem was on a C3 gen 1 lower. How about the other folks?

i39.tinypic.com_2i8ao7k.jpg

Back
Top Bottom