Caliber to carry to deal with agressive bears or mountain lion?

OP- When I lived in Alaska, I never went hiking, hunting or fishing without the Raging Bull in 454 Casull. Sold it before I moved to GA and I miss it a lot! Had since before 460 or 500 were available. Practiced full power loads every almost month (hand loading my ammo helped for $$$) and got pretty comfortable with recoil.
Porting on any large caliber revolver is a necessity for quick follow up shots. Shoot until you are empty and then reload.
For smaller GA bears 44 mag should be enough. Use HARD lead cast or solid brass bullets. Bear bones and hide are tough. You need penetration.
Hot rodded 357 mag in a solid strong Ruger revolver would be my absolute minimum for a bear gun. Or 10 mm in Auto.

In GA woods give me my G20 with 15 +1 of Underwood hard cast 220 grains going 1200 fps. I would take that over a 6 shot revolver for anything in GA. I like the 10 extra rounds. If a grizzly was in the picture then I would be thinking of nothing less than a hot 44 mag in a handgun. If I lived way up north, I think I would have me an AR10 by my side with at least 20 rounds.

I’d trap that mountain lion and shoot it in the head once caught.
Bury it and keep my mouth shut since it’s illegal to kill animals that want to eat you In Ga....so weird.

Back
Top Bottom