• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber to carry to deal with agressive bears or mountain lion?

In GA woods give me my G20 with 15 +1 of Underwood hard cast 220 grains going 1200 fps. I would take that over a 6 shot revolver for anything in GA. I like the 10 extra rounds. If a grizzly was in the picture then I would be thinking of nothing less than a hot 44 mag in a handgun. If I lived way up north, I think I would have me an AR10 by my side with at least 20 rounds.
You are not going to get more than 6 rounds off at a charging black bear moving at 35 miles an hour (50 yards in 3 seconds) at a distance you COULD convince DNR it was a self defense shoot. Go with a 44 mag. Rounds left in the magazine after you get mauled or eaten are zero good.

You are not going to get more than 6 rounds off at a charging black bear moving at 35 miles an hour (50 yards in 3 seconds) at a distance you COULD convince DNR it was a self defense shoot. Go with a 44 mag. Rounds left in the magazine after you get mauled or eaten are zero good.

I appreciate your insight. I think a 44 would be a top notch choice. But for me, with the heavy recoil of a 44 and time to get back on target, I would be lucky to get off more than 2 rounds in the scenario you presented. I could get at least 3 times as many rounds off from my 10mm uping my chances for hits. Also, if needed, I could continue to fire using a single hand. You maybe a very accomplished pistolero with the ability to recover quickly from heavy recoil. We are not all that talented.

I appreciate your insight. I think a 44 would be a top notch choice. But for me, with the heavy recoil of a 44 and time to get back on target, I would be lucky to get off more than 2 rounds in the scenario you presented. I could get at least 3 times as many rounds off from my 10mm uping my chances for hits. Also, if needed, I could continue to fire using a single hand. You maybe a very accomplished pistolero with the ability to recover quickly from heavy recoil. We are not all that talented.
I hope neither of us ever find out how many rounds we can get off at a charging bear.

I carried 454 Casull for bear protection in AK. 6.5" Taurus Raging bull.
I would never carry an un-ported revolver in 44 magnum and up.
Porting makes ALL the difference. It was a reason I opted for Taurus vs Ruger or Freedom arms.
With Raging Bull I could get back on the target fast enough to empty the cylinder.
I did reload for 454, so I could go thru a couple of boxes of ammo per range session and not go bankrupt.
10mm in auto is a decent choice, but go with FMJ ammo, not JHP. Bear hides and bones are tough, you need penetration.
At one time Buffalo Bore used to make solid bronze/brass ammo in 10 mm, 44 mag and 454 Casull. If they still do, I would go for that.

Backpack mounted minigun. If the first 1,000 rounds don't get it, the noise might scare it away.

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 11.36.27.png

Back
Top Bottom