• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Calibers Ranked

Blank_a0778052e1b6ae90dfb14d5396c44421.jpg
So if I don't have a comment, then it's a funny comment? Double negatives remind me of a very ugly English teacher I had in high school. Neither were or are very enjoyable. :cool-new:

So if I don't have a comment, then it's a funny comment? Double negatives remind me of a very ugly English teacher I had in high school. Neither were or are very enjoyable. :cool-new:
I had only one teacher I liked.

Stats are a nice platform to get general information though not always 100% accurate. If you have more accurate and up to date information based off of personal knowledge I would love to hear what you can share. Im always open to new information. One reason I choose a different caliber than 45 acp.

Sorry for being flippant, but it depends on the application. Do you want a huge hole, 100 yards, 20 feet, low weight, concealment, race gun, or just bragging rights? Are you talking about a lane at Governor's Gun Club or the sidewalk in front of the Fox Theater? Does it need to win a tournament or eliminate a real threat? There is no rank of a best caliber. There's only a best for your specific application at the time it's used.

Sorry for being flippant, but it depends on the application. Do you want a huge hole, 100 yards, 20 feet, low weight, concealment, race gun, or just bragging rights? Are you talking about a lane at Governor's Gun Club or the sidewalk in front of the Fox Theater? Does it need to win a tournament or eliminate a real threat? There is no rank of a best caliber. There's only a best for your specific application at the time it's used.

lets say best all around performance. While I believe 9mm is close to filling this I also believe it lacks in power what others do not. It was dropped partially for this reason. Saying that it has gotten better is true but this applies to all bullet performance. All cartridges benefit from new technology.

45 is to large for extended fights. Not that this will happen to you but it will happen for police.
the 9mm has pretty good penetration but really lacks in raw power. Sure shot placement is king but cops shoot like starwars stormtroopers. Hits not fully on target need to do damage. I cant think of many situations where people would say " Gee I wish I hit him with a smaller bullet" or " Man I really wish I had less rounds".

The 40 was suppose to fill this gap with more power and more rounds and it did. However for some reason it gets a lot of hate. Its Dad the 10mm is a great round with good capacity, penetration and "power" but at the cost of being unmanageable in some cases. Neither are loaded like they should be from factory loads.

Here is whyI think the 357 sig should be the new standard. It takes the best of all "wants / needs" and slaps them into one format. Its not the magic bullet but its pretty close to fitting the description. Recoil is more but not that much more that a bit of training wouldnt fix. I like the 10mm but the guns it takes to handle this are to large and bulky for the most part and the smaller ones really cant tame the recoil well.

Im hoping the cartridge will eventually make a strong return one day. I own several pistols in various cartridges so all my dogs are in this fight and I am weighing which one I feel will do the job based on various information and personal testing. The "legend" of the 357 mag 125 stopping power is dropped into a semiautomatic easy to carry format. Whats not to like?

http://www.marksmanshipmatters.com/the-357-sig-357-auto-pistol-cartridge/

I like the video. I generally agreed with his discussion of each caliber individually , the pros and cons of each. What I disagree with is the last few minutes of his video where he ranks them in their effectiveness as combat handgun rounds.

The 9 mm does not belong ranked ahead of the 45 or the 40 simply because it's skinnier and you could fit more cartridges in your magazine.

I'd put the 9 mm last. Considering that this video is only supposed to be about choosing the best round based on the characteristics of its ballistic performance.

If you're going to consider other factors such as the how many will fit in your gun, then I'd say you should also look at the recoil impulse and the cost of the ammunition . Then, the 9 mm scores very well on both of those and I would rank it ahead of the 10 mm or the 357 Sig overall if you're going to consider those factors.

to me the 10 mm is good for large sized handguns that are rather heavy but not typical concealed carry guns that most of us own. I think it would be an ideal pistol caliber carbine round. I'd love to have a 5 pound short barrel carbine for home defense that uses a 25 round stick magazine of 10 mm and has a 12 inch barrel.

to me the 10 mm is good for large sized handguns that are rather heavy but not typical concealed carry guns that most of us own. I think it would be an ideal pistol caliber carbine round. I'd love to have a 5 pound short barrel carbine for home defense that uses a 25 round stick magazine of 10 mm and has a 12 inch barrel.[/QUOTE]
I think a reasonably priced well made, not a High Point, carbine in 10mm would be a home run.

9 mm +P is all the power I want or can handle with speed and accuracy ...
...in a compact 9 mm with a 3.3" inch barrel
and an empty weight of only about 20 ounces.

If I owned a full sized defensive handgun that was only for serious social work, not sport shooting also, I would much rather have it in either .40 S&W or .357 Sig.
But because I use my full sized pistol as a target gun for action pistol competitions, I want it to be in a low-recoil caliber.
And I wanted to shoot rounds that are plentiful and cheap.
So it's a 9 x 19 mm.

I killed a bunch of people with a 22.......Well, you call it a 5.56, well, it was a long time ago, Well, no charges were filed, Well, it was in some Jungle..it does make a nice pistol round too:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom