• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a <21yo carry a handgun in their vehicle?

My son is 19. He bought a handgun. Can he store it in his glove box?

yes

If so, does it have to be separated from the ammo or can he have a loaded mag in it?

No and yes.

I looked on GCO and couldn't find anything other that what's not allowed.

So it goes

There are several other circumstances where a 18 + year old can carry a pistol w/o a permit.

Buy I have to add that in the real world, probably 75% of LEO will jack him up if he has a pistol and is under 21.

So it goes

There are several other circumstances where a 18 + year old can carry a pistol w/o a permit.

Buy I have to add that in the real world, probably 75% of LEO will jack him up if he has a pistol and is under 21.

Now why in the world would the PoPo want to harass a law abiding citizen?

Do you think they would also lie to the under 21 so they could confiscate his legal weapon?

Similar question: what about a minor under 18 carrying a gun? ( not concealed) I realize my 16 year old son can open carry a gun while hunting, and can open carry a gun on his hip at a shooting event/range, but I assume he can't open carry a rifle or shotgun or pistol while walking down the street? How does the law differentiate between a youth's ability to carry under adult supervision while hunting or at a shooting event, but I assume carrying other places is prohibited right?

So it goes

Actually I doubt many would even make the connection. It would completely depend on the situation.

Similar question: what about a minor under 18 carrying a gun? ( not concealed) I realize my 16 year old son can open carry a gun while hunting, and can open carry a gun on his hip at a shooting event/range, but I assume he can't open carry a rifle or shotgun or pistol while walking down the street? How does the law differentiate between a youth's ability to carry under adult supervision while hunting or at a shooting event, but I assume carrying other places is prohibited right?

Private property with permission from landowner.

Not WMA or National Forest while hunting

Public property no.

Porter Rockwell Porter Rockwell

Under 18 year old can not carry a handgun around off your private property except for certain circumstances/activities spelled out in 16-11-132. When dealing with minors and guns there are several code sections you need to be aware of.

O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-101.1
Furnishing pistol or revolver to person under the age of 18 years

O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-132
Possession of handgun by person under the age of 18 years

With regard to long guns:
You need to understand that the State of Georgia has never in it's history prohibited a minor (under 18 yo) from open carrying a long gun (rifle or shotgun) walking down the street.

If the minor can possess it, (which he or she can bc there is no law prohibiting a minor possessing a long arm) then they can open carry it.

During Primitive Weapons season a minor can not carry a handgun while hunting. Only a GWCL holder can do so. O.C.G.A.§ 27-3-6
Possession of firearm while hunting with bow and arrow

WMAs also prohibit minor in possession of a handgun.
O.C.G.A.§ 27-3-1.1
Acts prohibited on wildlife management areas

OP, your son qualifies to carry a loaded handgun in his vehicle bc of O.C.G.A.§16-11-126 (a). That is the only exemption he needs to take to do so. You read the code wrong.

Warning: Do not let him drive onto a K-12 School Zone or onto a University/College/Technical School campus with the firearm in his vehicle. He will be committing a felony if he does so, violating O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-127.1 Only GWCL holders qualify for the school exemptions.
@nah.fam

Back
Top Bottom