• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can a Jeep be too high

Shovelhead

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
82   0
Reaction score
I found a used Jeep Wrangler (2005 Sport). Pretty good shape everything works, but I hate the ride. The previous owner had a body
lift installed with after market tires and wheels. It sounds like a tank going down GA 400 and has some bounce to it at lower speeds.
I've owned about 4 other Jeeps and this is the worst ride. I attribute to this lift kit and oversize tires. I do plan on using it to get in and out of my hunting property and as a grocery getter on week days. I'm torn weather to pay some one to put it back to a nearly stock configuration or not. I'd probably have to toss the BL kit parts but I think I could sell the after market wheels and tires to offset the cost of an OEM setup.......:frown: So keep it as is??? Or revert back???

i62.tinypic.com_16l0k8j.jpg

You can look on Craigslist and get a set of stock wheels and tires. A body lift should not affect the ride quality, but it can be less stable.

In my experience with lifted Jeeps, the quality of parts can have a huge difference on ride quality.
A $500 rough country lift kit rode extremely rough with their springs and shocks. Other Jeeps with better quality shocks and springs I have been in have rode much more comfortable. Although, a body lift only should not make it ride that much different.

I'm not a jeep person. It doesn't look like it is too much lift or too big tires. Has someone tried to balance or adjust the setup?

Check the ply on the tire...if it's something like an 8 ply tire, it's gonna ride like crap anyway. But they probably used stiff bushings/springs etc., and stiff tires. Ply is rated alphabetic I think....A=2. B=4. C=6. Etc., I THINK that's the way it is. I'm sure there are some tire guys on here that can tell for sure. Sidewall ply is what you want to look at.

You may just need to true the tires. Off road tires become out of round very easily, thus the bouncing at lower speed and may be adding to some of the tire noise at high speeds. They can be shaved and put back into a round condition.

Perhaps a new set of quality shocks is in order for the 'ol gal.
As others have stated, a body lift should not affect the geometry of the suspension and/or drivability.
Other than that you could try having the tires rotated and balanced but keep in mind you're driving a Jeep Wrangler as well....

Back
Top Bottom