• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can anyone tell me if this is a Mauser action ?

The name of an aftermarket Mauser safety. Looks like the Sako barrel has been cut back. Guessing a re-chamber?
yes rechamber to 22-250 it looks like it needed to be tightened half a turn more so the SA in Sako is out of sight. also the Caliber isn't visible.

Quite probably Mauser, possibly sporterized milsurp ? Looks to have been refinished, not that brilliantly.
Did Mauser stamp their name on all there actions? If so where would I look ? I hate to pull scope. I was thinking of selling and thought best if scope was on target. What does A.921 mean?

Looks like a non-military Mauser-style rifle built in Finland by Sako.
I am trying to learn so why do you feel it was built by Sako? The SA is covered by receiver and writing is upside down. There is no visible caliber designation. if it was built when 22-250 was a wildcat it should still have caliber correct? Could it be a "cigarette" gun from after the war? More questions than answers.

yes rechamber to 22-250 it looks like it needed to be tightened half a turn more so the SA in Sako is out of sight. also the Caliber isn't visible.
Unfortunately the Mauser Crest is under the scope. If you were shooting this in the mid 70's I'd say it was most likely a well done conversion. The safety, the double triggers were common add ons. Also and maybe a gunsmith can chime in, the barrel was probably trimmed during the rechamber and that's the reason the SA in Sako disappeared. Here is a crest off the internet, located right under the scope. Beautiful rifle by the way. Many variations on it.
iu

I am trying to learn so why do you feel it was built by Sako? The SA is covered by receiver and writing is upside down. There is no visible caliber designation. if it was built when 22-250 was a wildcat it should still have caliber correct? Could it be a "cigarette" gun from after the war? More questions than answers.

Do you have a picture of the complete left side of the action? That should tell if it’s a milsurp or commercial Mauser.

Do you have a picture of the complete left side of the action? That should tell if it’s a milsurp or commercial Mauser.

A military action will have this cutout for your thumb when loading with stripper clips. Most commercial actions do not.

IMG_3534.jpeg

Set triggers are/were pretty common on commercial Mauser actions. Especially those built in Europe. I picked up a Zastava M70 Standard commercial Mauser just a few years ago that had double set triggers.
The most common reason for setting back the barrel is head space issues. 22-250 is known to be a barrel burner so quite possibly the chamber was shot out and then set back.

Back
Top Bottom