• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can we get all the fudd crap out of competitive shooting?

Yeah, let's get real and start parking old cars at the range so we can jump across the hood to get cover on the other side?

And we should be able to throw hand grenades --even if we can only throw them 2/3 as far as their lethal blast radius. Assumption of risk, signed waiver of liability, at all that; we can make it work!

And why don't we add cutting people's throats with Rambo knives along with the handgun shooting to make it more realistic?
Start your own sport. It's so easy.
Maybe he can rent an outdoors range venue, advertise it, and you might get a like minded guys out there with you. It will be your event, you set the prerequisites, and who knows you might start something.

Been trying to get more into the competitive scene to spice things up but holy crap some of these rules are stupid... so many unnecessary holster regs and holster "placement" rules. surprised I'm not barred for being left handed and under 70... Is there anybody in the metro area that isn't going to pull this crap and actually make a legit competitive scene?
do the 5k run and gun races

I've experienced enough idiot marines under me that do everything right regardless of their brain... yell at them stop being soft is the way I feel about so called "instructors" and insert certification here... meanwhile I know there's a lot of "accidents" that happen civilian wise because "Mi GrAnDandY tAughTmE tA Shuut, me 2 Wuurld waRzz"
I agree some of the rules are a bit off. That being said it only takes a couple incidents for a holster/technique to ruin for those that are competent.
As far as "civilians" and accidents, don't agree at all. Safe is safe, no matter the shooter. A majority of the top shooters on the globe are not mil or leo.

where did I say any of that? lol mainly think its stupid that a "concealed" course of fire doesn't allow appendix carry and my holster is required to go through a belt loop... do we really have that little faith in anyone at that level wanting to participate?
Yes, absolutely. That little faith that some noob isn't going to blow their dick off or let the pistol fall out of their pants.

Yeah, let's get real and start parking old cars at the range so we can jump across the hood to get cover on the other side?

And we should be able to throw hand grenades --even if we can only throw them 2/3 as far as their lethal blast radius. Assumption of risk, signed waiver of liability, at all that; we can make it work!

And why don't we add cutting people's throats with Rambo knives along with the handgun shooting to make it more realistic?

IN!

May the odds be ever in your favor

There are matches that include 6 different sets of rules that are followed in the north Georgia area. All are fundamentally safe but some more than others. If you check out the matches you will probably find something you like. I have shot all of them regularly except for one. I consider it too risky only due to the type of target and ammunition allowed.
The rules you dislike are generally created because people looked for an advantage and the sport must cater to the very competitive shooters by limiting the advantages.
Also every local match I have shot will allow you to shoot anything safe within reason if you politely ask to shoot "not for competition"
There are limits that are related to safety or the RO understanding how the equipment works

If you would like advice on a specific group that fits what you think you want to do message me. Usually a shooter new to action shooting does not settle down to a division until 20 matches or more. Unless you are young and have a rare natural talent. It takes a couple of years of regular matches and regular dry fire to become proficient at any sport. A guess is that 80% or more of the new shooters never get to that point. I have been shooting regularly for 7 years and I am not competitive among skilled people but I have had fun at every match I attended except for about 5. All 5 involve someone getting hurt or very angry. I look at the rules as a mental challenge. I learn to follow then 3 or 5 seconds at a time.

USPSA
IDPA
USARMS
AP RBGC
DP JC
SC
BP

Been trying to get more into the competitive scene to spice things up but holy crap some of these rules are stupid... so many unnecessary holster regs and holster "placement" rules. surprised I'm not barred for being left handed and under 70... Is there anybody in the metro area that isn't going to pull this crap and actually make a legit competitive scene?
do the 5k run and gun races

I'll second this - if procedural regulations aren't your thing - come try Run and Guns! Every event is different with stages completely made up by the match directors desires. Some favor accuracy and shooting speed, others are more physically demanding. I've found it to be more of a sport than competition - but maybe that's because I enjoy things even when I don't win.

If I wanna shoot my pecker off it's my right! Just don't shoot somebody else's off. But yeah like other's said liability. I've seen a lot of wannabe Rambo's that scared the **** out of me watching them handle their firearm.

Back
Top Bottom