• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Cargo Boeing 747 crashes at Bagram Airfield today video

I work up here at hartsfield and the report were hearing is also a shifted load and overloaded Causing stall and hard bank then crash. Very unfortunate for the crew...

Brother is a pilot that works with another cargo co and that's what there hearing also--video sent to the crews overseas from there headquarters----cargo shift most likely -----very sad

From my pilot buddy in Alaska:
National Airlines B-747-400BCF freighter, stall on climbout. Bagram Air Base, Kabul, 4/29/13. Crew did get out a brief transmission that unsecured cargo shifted aft on climbout. - grossly exceeded the aft cg limit and static margin requirements.

Strange.

I noticed the gear wasn't up. Maybe the cargo shift distracted them and they didn't get it.

I doubt it would have made any difference. That plane was really trying to fly at an amazingly low airspeed. I was amazed at how long it actually kept digging.

-Sad... Prayers for all involved.

Very possible; I was a loadmaster doing these same routes and loads on 74's; they reportedly had 5 vehicles and other cargo onboard. It is easy to get incorrect weights, or an over-load situation if fuel was incorrectly calculated; but a shifted load comes down to a equipment failure or human error (if indeed the case).

I always added a few more restraints above the standard G-force calculations for fear of this exact event; it makes you much more cognizant when you ride with the loads.

Many variables at hand; regardless, a tragic event

I was reading a random forum online where some guys were talking (apparently former military) and they were saying that supposedly there were MRAPs (I have no idea what that is) were on the plane and they think that because civilian cargo loaders do things differently than military loaders, these guys might not have followed the correct procedure for locking these things down correctly or not had the correct equipment to do so.

I have no idea if what they are saying is true or not, but it sounds logical and seems to follow what you're saying.

I was reading a random forum online where some guys were talking (apparently former military) and they were saying that supposedly there were MRAPs (I have no idea what that is) were on the plane and they think that because civilian cargo loaders do things differently than military loaders, these guys might not have followed the correct procedure for locking these things down correctly or not had the correct equipment to do so.

I have no idea if what they are saying is true or not, but it sounds logical and seems to follow what you're saying.

My buddy who was an Air Force pilot thinks civilian loading downed it as well

The only difference between civilian and military in the equipment used is Chains Vs Straps, which technically makes no difference other than the total number used to reach the minimum Fwd/vertical/side and aft G-force limitations.

For instance, lets say the protocol established by that airline with the FAA is 3G Fwd and 1.5 G all other directions for minimum restraint, and lets say the vehicle weighs 5000 kilos, the Loadmaster would need 15,000 Kilos of Fwd restraint. If a strap in a single point to point connection is worth 2250 Kilos, then he would need 7 straps to fulfill that 3G minimum. If a chain is good for 5000 Kgs, then he only needs 3. Downside is that chains are much heavier, more costly, and will damage lighter cargo.... thus, straps are mainly found on the civilian side. As for the difference between AF/AMC restraint limitations vs civilian, I'm not sure.

The air pallets used are military air pallets and the vehicles are then strapped to the pallets (civilian airlines use military air pallets in most cases), those pallets are then locked into position by locks on the aircraft floor.

Long story short, the vehicles may not have been adequately strapped for their weight, the pallets may not have been properly locked to the floor, or, it could have been a weight and balance error when the loadmaster prepared the weight and balance calculation for the crew, which determines the aircraft's center of gravity as well as stabilizer settings (both critical for takeoff).

again, multiple scenarios could have caused this

Last edited:
My buddy who was an Air Force pilot thinks civilian loading downed it as well
Bare in mind, a large portion of the civilian loadmasters are hired based upon their experience as AF loadmasters; also, nearly all loading and unloading is handled by the military but the Load Master is still ultimately responsible.

Back
Top Bottom