• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Carry Holsters

I have about decided to forgo the kydex holster in favor of a Galco Cozy Partner for a new Glock I just ordered.

I have been really intrigued by the Aholster which Tiger McKee endorses but if I indeed end up with anything kydex it would just be for my 1911. Not for any of the rest of my carry guns.

Kydex will carry the gun fine, but it will accelerate wear to the finish. If you want the best for the finish on your gun, get a silicone suede lined holster. Everyone talks about holsters, but the secret to carrying a firearm in comfort is the belt you wear. There is no jeans belt made that has the body to carry the weight of a firearm/holster. If you opt for a custom made holster, have the maker furnish a belt to match. He is aware of what the belt has to do and will build an appropriate belt. The good news is a decent belt will last as long or longer than the holster will.

I personally prefer the "pancake" style, where the belt loops will fall on either side of a belt loop on your pants. This helps to support the weight of the gun/holster, and keeps it tucked into your body. This of course helps to make it less obvious whether you are carrying open or under a garment. I have also noticed black holsters will make the gun a little less obvious to the casual observer. I suspect in part because most guns are black, and with a black belt there is so little to contrast. Not to mention the majority of the clothes I wear are in the blue/black/gray family.

I used to have a Kydex holster for my Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm, but don't use it anymore and almost soley go with either a nice Galco leather or Blackhawk SERPA CQC holster nowadays

I carry a kydex holster everyday and it has not done anything to the finish of my firearm. Not that I would care anyway but if the finish it that important then that is not the gun that you should be carrying. It should be a safe queen b/c at some point it is going to have some type of wear. I look at it as at tool.

i carry a Kydex holster everyday. i like the finish and not really having to worry about it messin up. mine has a felt lining in it so it does not hurt the finish at all

Ive been using the minotaur mtac for a couple years now and i like it a lot. With the way i change guns being able to change it to fit any gun has been big help. Its a removable kydex body with a leather backing

Minotaur Holsters makes a MTAC that is a hybrid between leather and kydex. I use one for my Glock 19 IWB and I am 6'3'' 240 and am completely comfortable all day long. It is the best of both worlds because the leather backing provides a great barrier between your body and the gun however the kydex sleeve allows for secure holstering as well the easiest re-holstering I have ever seen. These are not cheap (around $80 new) but by the time you go through all of the other holsters, as I did, that you do not like you will end up saving money.

i397.photobucket.com_albums_pp56_mmorri18_MTACpic.jpg

i recieved a Galco shoulder rig earlier today. first hand experience is that it is comfortable. i am goning to carry with it tomorrow all day and see how it works.

gtfisherman said:
I am thinking of ordering a kydex carry holster for everyday use. Does anyone have one and what's your experiences with them?

Very positive overall. Stick with quality manufacturers: Raven Concealment, Comp Tac, Blade Tech, etc. I carry a full size 1911 in a Raven holster 12 hours a day, every day of the week. Stay away from Fobus, Blackhawk, etc. they suck and aren't worth wasting your money on. Buy once, cry once.

Im about 30 days in to a 75 day wait for my Raven Concealment Phantom Modular Holster. I will let you know what I think when I get it in. I got the Magpul Dynamics cut in Coyote. Im real interested to see if they are as good as everything says they are.

They are. I've almost entirely phased out all my leather holsters, and carry in my Raven the overwhelming majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom