• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry in own business.

I'm almost positive the answer is yes but I am curious as to if that's just me being sure of my opinion again. Opinion/fact what's the difference really? :).

Yes

It is the very first section of OCGA that concerns carry laws.

16-11-126 (a)

If you are not prohibited by law from possessing (see the definition under the "Possession" section at the top of this page) a firearm you may carry a weapon on your own property and in your own home, motor vehicle and place of business without needing a valid weapons carry license. (including the property that the business is located on IF the property is owned by the business owner). You do not have to have permission from the business owner in order to be exempt from carrying a concealed weapon without a license at your place of business (however that does NOT mean you cannot be fired for carrying without permission. If you cross any property in transit between your property, car or office then you would be in violation of the law.

Yes

It is the very first section of OCGA that concerns carry laws.

16-11-126 (a)

Castle doctrine extends from your home, to auto, to your own business if you own it or have permission.

Getting your GWL isn't a big deal and I would highly recommend it….. have him take a look at gacarry.org.

js415 is right.

You don't need permission from your boss, owner, or whomever to carry at your place of business legally without a GWCL.

If it is your place of business (where you work), and you can legally own a gun, then you can carry on your person without obtaining permission from anyone. But, if caught.................then you could lose your job.

Miller v. State 12 Ga. App. 479, 77 S. E. 653 1913 "Place of Business" includes an employee of that business.

Idellett v. State 14 Ga. App. 501 1914 Employees have every bit as much right to carry at work as employers without procuring a license, as it was not the intent of the General Assembly to create an elite class of landed proprietors with the privilege of bearing arms. Therefore, the exemption from the licensing law for "place of business" is not limited to owners or overseers. Further, at a farm, a laborer's "place of business" includes, in addition to the buildings, the field, woodland, and meadow, and all parts of the farm.

Last edited:
So, if you have a liberal landlord, does the castle doctrine still hold?
Point in case: Cabrini Green in Chicago.
What if you lease or rent a car, or even if you have a loan on your car?

So, if you have a liberal landlord, does the castle doctrine still hold?
Point in case: Cabrini Green in Chicago.
What if you lease or rent a car, or even if you have a loan on your car?

Valid point. Can't speak to GA, but in most states, if the lessee agree's to the leasor's terms and if violated, you're out.

Back
Top Bottom