• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carrying a gun after an accident occurs and police offer you a ride home

i did not carry a gun when i had a accident in which i was given a ride home in the back of police car (my car frame was bent to much for me to drive it safely).

if i was open carrying a gun at the time and the police officer offered me a ride home after my car was damaged and had no one else to drive me the 11 miles there, what should be the procedure before getting in the police car

Every PD is different, but I personally don't know any dept's that allow someone, other than another officer, to ride in the back of a police car armed. I'd simply place the weapon in the front seat of my car while you were in the back and return it to ya when we're done.

Common professional courtesy dictates that you inform him that you have a "legal" firearm and you’re carrying. You are a force multiplier. You are not a threat, quite the opposite in fact.

If the reaction is otherwise then he is an asshole.

Absolutely....

Back in the '90's in Hiawassee GA, me and a buddy were walking back to his house along the road after squirrel. Well it was raining and we both had our shotgun's with us. A cruiser pulled up beside us & asked if we needed a ride. We rode in the back but kept our guns with us, he just made us safety check it before we got in. I think we were 15 at the time & he didn't hassel us over it. Thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Not sure if things would go the same if that would happen today. These days I wouldn't mind them holding on to it in the front, its for their own saftey since they don't know me. In their job they can't let their guard down for anyone.

I had a City of Atlanta officer give me a ride once after an accident. I was armed and let him know. He placed the gun in the front seat wit the slide locked open and we were off. He gladly returned the weapon to me as he let me out of the cruiser, even said Thanks for telling him and have a safe and great day.. That was cool.

I had a City of Atlanta officer give me a ride once after an accident. I was armed and let him know. He placed the gun in the front seat wit the slide locked open and we were off. He gladly returned the weapon to me as he let me out of the cruiser, even said Thanks for telling him and have a safe and great day.. That was cool.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom