• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying on an empty chamber?

Do you carry on an empty chamber?

• Total voters
Inquiring minds want to know how you get "bullet setback" with a round that headspaces on the rim of the case. The bullet itself never touches anything.

What pushes the bullet back into the case?

feed ramp.

Not going to happen

Ramp contact

Happens all the time.

tenor.gif

Not going to happen
Wrong. Explain to me then why some large mouth hollow point ammo do not feed in some of the semi-autos? Why polishing the feed ramp helps with feeding issues?

If you have calipers, measure a round, and chamber the same round 10 times, then measure the overall length. Do not try to fire that round. Soak it in oil to deactivate the primer, and then properly discard.

Semi-auto rounds use taper crimp, friction between case and bullet holds the bullets in the case.

I do not carry on an empty chamber because, If God forbid, you need to stop an attack, you may not have the ability to wrack the slide. You also have a higher probability of causing a stoppage. If you’re afraid that you’ll shoot yourself, dry fire practice, dry fire practice, dry fire practice.

Be safe ODT

I do not carry on an empty chamber because, If God forbid, you need to stop an attack, you may not have the ability to wrack the slide. You also have a higher probability of causing a stoppage. If you’re afraid that you’ll shoot yourself, dry fire practice, dry fire practice, dry fire practice.

Be safe ODT
Ooh... forgot... and Tacos!

Wrong. Explain to me then why some large mouth hollow point ammo do not feed in some of the semi-autos? Why polishing the feed ramp helps with feeding issues?

If you have calipers, measure a round, and chamber the same round 10 times, then measure the overall length. Do not try to fire that round. Soak it in oil to deactivate the primer, and then properly discard.

Semi-auto rounds use taper crimp, friction between case and bullet holds the bullets in the case.

This. This is a well-known fact in semi-autos. If you’re someone that is constantly loading and unloading your carry gun, you need to periodically replace those top two rounds that keep going in and out of the chamber.

Some semi-autos and calibers are worse about it than others.

Back
Top Bottom