• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying on an empty chamber?

Do you carry on an empty chamber?

• Total voters
He was also carrying a large sum of cash, like 5k and I asked what happens is someone jumps him? He says he always chanbers on when hes at home or in the car and I hope he never forgets to do so, cause otherwise that guns just going to go click.
Still reading the thread.
No one has mentioned the bullet setback yet. If he chambers the same round over and over, bullet can be pushed back into the case and develop dangerous pressure when fired.

I served in 2 branches of the military, Army first then Navy.
I was on the ships QRF and we carried weapons that were previously issued to the Marines- M14s, Remington 870s, and 1911s.
We had to carry them unloaded and the pistol mags were downloaded to 5 rounds. The Gunners Mates claimed it extended the service life of the mag springs but I believe they just couldn't count higher without using a second hand.
I would never carry with an empty chamber and I have taken classes that taught weak hand shooting and one hand racking.
You can retrain muscle memory if you put in the time and effort.
My older brother was LEO for years...he carries with the chamber empty and has carried pistols that he purchased but never fired...don't get me started about doing things because you have always done it that way and nothing bad has happened yet.

So has anyone ever had an accidental discharge with an empty chamber ?

Don't forget the DEA officer that was the only one in the room professional enough to carry a Glock "40" that did just that by checking his empty chamber with his mag in and then proceeded to shoot himself in front of a bunch of school kids.

No one has mentioned the bullet setback yet. If he chambers the same round over and over, buller can be pushed back into the case and develop dangerous pressure when fired.
Word!!

No one has mentioned the bullet setback yet. If he chambers the same round over and over, bullet can be pushed back into the case and develop dangerous pressure when fired.

Can't happen if you don't carry hot, right? He only chambers when needed...

Inquiring minds want to know how you get "bullet setback" with a round that headspaces on the rim of the case. The bullet itself never touches anything.

What pushes the bullet back into the case?

Back
Top Bottom