• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

case length

All above is great advice!
I use a Wislon hand crank trimmer, only cost 16 buck's @ ebay.
Read a reloading manual. READ a Reloading Manual. READ AND RE READ a REALOADING MANUAL.
Did I mention to "read a reloading manual till it's all you can think about and read it again."
That was the best advice that I ever recieved as a nubie reloader.
Bought a used RCBS manual at a $1 yard sale and all used equip except the dies.

Last edited:
To short? you'd have to do alot of overtrimming to be to short. Case length usually refers to not being longer than a specified length not shorter than. But I guess in certain circumstances it could be to short.

I've had to cull 48 out of 120 rds of once fired .243 brass due to them being several thousands too short. All Federal {puke} never again!

Least anyone forget, there are those reading that are not as experienced as many f you already are:

"Long" or "Short" can be a real problem for .40 S&W as well as 9mm pistol ammunition as they both headspace on the case mouth.
Too long can result in a "slam-fire", too short may result in a FTF ... or something worse.
Again, "Short" (always) or "Long" (usually) gets tossed based upon their fit in my caliber-specific Lyman Case Gauge as I check them coming out of the sizing die.
A caliber-specific Lyman Case Gauge will also detect out-of-spec problems with the case head as well (on both pistol and rifle cases).

Using the same gauge, one can quickly check OAL of loaded projectiles against industry standards. This, for those that aren't loading to the specific (measured and known)
chamber for a specific rifle ....

I haven't used many Federal so it's nice to know to keep my eye on that. Learn new stuff everyday. That's why I ask questions too. Getting ready to start learning the .40 s/w, I've got a SIG P239 in .40 coming. We're going to the Show in Jacksonville tomorrow to check on some supplies. Luckily I have plenty of brass, primers and powder already.

Last edited:
i haven't used many federal so it's nice to know to keep my eye on that. Learn new stuff everyday. That's why i ask questions too. Getting ready to start learning the .40 s/w, i've got a sig p239 in .40 coming. We're going to the show in jacksonville tomorrow to check on some supplies. Luckily i have plenty of brass, primers and powder already.

i'm waiting on a batch of cast lead 180's that i ordered to load into my .40's using chuckdog's universal powder recommendation!

Btw: I've spent many good times at fernandina ... During trips to king's bay when i was selling to uncle sam.

i'm waiting on a batch of cast lead 180's that i ordered to load into my .40's using chuckdog's universal powder recommendation!

Btw: I've spent many good times at fernandina ... During trips to king's bay when i was selling to uncle sam.

Yea nice area, been here about 17-18yrs. As a matter or fact, Shrimp Festival This weekend in Fernandina. And Gun show in Jax. Come on down.! Can't wait to try the SIG out.

Back
Top Bottom