Cash for emergencies?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I have a lot friends up in NJ and with the large area of power outages up theres been lots of reports of not being able to get gas, food, etc because they can't get access to their cash via CC machines or ATMs so my mother in law brought up the point that we should have cash in our BOBs. Much question is without getting too personal but how much do you have in your BOB for emergencies? I'm thinking about $200 should be good.

People assume its valuable and will be easily traded for things. 2 schools of thought on that. One is that yes it will be, the other of course is if that things have gone really that bad, who wants money any more? Not sure where I stand on it but would rather stock ammo or a good bartered resource is cheap alcohol. Drinking will be up once things go to pot and cheap whiskey can be swapped for needed items. That and disposable lighters apparantly.

People assume its valuable and will be easily traded for things. 2 schools of thought on that. One is that yes it will be, the other of course is if that things have gone really that bad, who wants money any more? Not sure where I stand on it but would rather stock ammo or a good bartered resource is cheap alcohol. Drinking will be up once things go to pot and cheap whiskey can be swapped for needed items. That and disposable lighters apparantly.

Good call on the lighters.

I keep 500 in 20's in the BOB. And 1000 each at the father in law's and the mother in law's.
but I also keep printed copies of all paperwork, and same copies on a flash drive. All locked in a lock box so no one else can get in and take the cash.

I would like to stash a cheap 9mm and some loaded mags in each box also.

I keep 500 in 20's in the BOB. And 1000 each at the father in law's and the mother in law's.
but I also keep printed copies of all paperwork, and same copies on a flash drive. All locked in a lock box so no one else can get in and take the cash.

I would like to stash a cheap 9mm and some loaded mags in each box also.

Copies of paperwork and the flash is always a good idea, I have printed copies of friends phone numbers etc in a folder so if my cell phone dies i can find other ways to contact people for help (saw after a flood or such), otherwise i would have no idea, too much to memorize.

You can get two pack of generic large grill lighters from the $1 store here in Griffin. I've got a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom