Cash for emergencies?

Lol think long run, ammo is exhaustible, knowledge is not. Pick up a skill to trade, be it first aid, repairing things, that bosnian article had a guy making kerosene?. I view myself as a survivalist so my woodmans skills are better than average (as are most hunters etc).

Oh and stock pile good socks lol, can never have enough if your travelling a lot by foot :)

I like to keep at least enough cash (about $5) for a McDonald's meal off the Super Value Menu in my BOB. After all...it could quite possibly be my last in such a scenerio.

I like to keep at least enough cash (about $5) for a McDonald's meal off the Super Value Menu in my BOB. After all...it could quite possibly be my last in such a scenerio.

Mickey D's is like cockroaches... they will survive the Apocalypse (although they will get rid of the dollar menu).

Hmm...so $500 in twenties with each vehicle is overkill then? That and a small leather pouch of silver (90%, pre-64) us coins. I think the intrinsic nature of silver and gold will establish value for barter where base metal coins will be worthless.

I still don't know why gold is needed, if the disaster is that big enough to stop us using cash, surely the gold prices will plummet same as stocks losing value etc?

If it's bad enough to crash the value of money, gold and silver will retain value, no matter what country you might go to.
In the crashed economy an ounce may not buy you a roll of toilet paper, but elsewhere it will probably still be close to current price,
and once things start to recover from the initial shock, it will be one of the first thing people would take for payment.
For a short term thing, like the hurricane, no, I wouldn't bother spending the money on it.

I picture a crashed economy so archaic that things like paper money, gold and silver will have no value because the purposes for them are limited. People will be trying to survive. Things like food, water and ammo will be the most valuable. What is someone gonna do with gold and silver?

Gold has intrinsic value. It's easily transportable (vs. $500 worth of water), it's somehwat universally standardized, and has been a fall back currency for thousands of years. Sure, when things first fall apart, immediate needs are the most sought after (who cares if you have $10,000 in gold if you're starving to death), but as barter systems re-establish commodities trading (tangible goods- food, water, shelter, building materials, etc.), gold/silver and the like, even steel, aluminum and nonprecious metals will regain/retain value. A guy with a means of machining or fabricating (and a means to power the equipment) would trade his services for provisions first, and once fed and warm, would trade for more raw materials, and eventually precious metals. Why? food stuffs have an expiration date, raw material have limited usefulness, but precious metals can be traded back and forth to infinity. Ever wonder how long some gold has been in a currency state? Just melted down and reformed into some other presentation? Some could have been floating around for thousands of years. There was a day when spanish gold had no oohh! factor and would just get defaced and reformed into another tradable form.

Back
Top Bottom