• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caution Seniors

Sometimes it goes the other way. I was in a convenience store years ago, picking up my drive-home beer (back when one could do that), When the guy in front of me handed the clerk a $10. When he got his change, he told clerk he had given him a $20. Poor old guy went deer in headlights (he had already put the bill in the register).
I told the clerk that the guy had indeed handed him a $10 and he gave correct change.
Scam artist feigned anger, then left.
I got my beer free that day.
I don't use cash much anymore myself, but when I did make a purchase with a large bill, I would take note of the last four or five digits of the serial number of the bill that I gave the cashier. That way if there was ever a dispute about which denomination I had given, I could recite the serial number to prove my case. Unfortunately, I have had to use this method a time of two.

I was at a drive through window at a fast-food restaurant once awaiting my change and noticed that the server was closely studying the coins she was about to hand to me. I could tell she was most fascinated with the quarters. She called the manager over to ask her about the dilemma that she was facing. I asked her if someone had slipped a Susan B. Anthony dollar in the mix and she looked at me as if I had three eyes and said, "My name is not Susan!" and closed the sliding door partially. I could still hear her conversation with the manager who convincing told this young cashier, "Oh that's just a quarter." The cashier continued to examine it and then asked her manager "Well, why does it say Quarter Dollar on it?" This is our future.

Back
Top Bottom