• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

cell phone power bank

why is that?
Non-solar power banks are a dime a dozen. You could potentially use a single standalone solar charger to charge multiple power banks (although probably not simultaneously).

Also, batteries generally don't like extreme heat, so I would think an all-in-one unit, sitting in the sun, would have a shorter battery life. Using a standalone charger, you'd have the ability to find or make shade for the battery, while the solar panel is in the sun.

You'd also have the option of a larger solar panel (potentially faster charging), if it isn't constrained to the footprint of the power bank.

Non-solar power banks are a dime a dozen. You could potentially use a single standalone solar charger to charge multiple power banks (although probably not simultaneously).

Also, batteries generally don't like extreme heat, so I would think an all-in-one unit, sitting in the sun, would have a shorter battery life. Using a standalone charger, you'd have the ability to find or make shade for the battery, while the solar panel is in the sun.

You'd also have the option of a larger solar panel (potentially faster charging), if it isn't constrained to the footprint of the power bank.
i see your thinking here but the solar still charges to a battery just like a regular battery charger though.
the soars dont really need to be in direct sun light though.

7A2DC156-9D8A-40AB-917B-206031BDD191.jpeg

Here are the 3 that I use, & an old phone shown for size comparison. The largest, Mophie, was the most expensive, & gets used the least, because of its size & weight.

The other two are PocketJuice & Inland brands. Each of these were about $5. I think I can get a full phone charge out of the PJ, & about 1/2 front the Inland. They are the easiest to use bc they slip into a pocket without a bunch of weight & bulk. These may not be the best for you, but I thought I’d share some specific examples.

View attachment 4776679

Here are the 3 that I use, & an old phone shown for size comparison. The largest, Mophie, was the most expensive, & gets used the least, because of its size & weight.

The other two are PocketJuice & Inland brands. Each of these were about $5. I think I can get a full phone charge out of the PJ, & about 1/2 front the Inland. They are the easiest to use bc they slip into a pocket without a bunch of weight & bulk. These may not be the best for you, but I thought I’d share some specific examples.
my old one is a POM gear. doesnt have the greatest of reviews but i never had a issue and it charged my phone fast.
i got about 3 charges out of iit too before i had to recharge it.
from my research it seems the INIU brand is pretty choice. i just watched a video
where a guy buys like 5 different chargers off amazon. he opened them to find the batteries inside didnt
have the compacity to live up to the manufactures claims of how much mAh they claimed. he did however open 2 INIU and those had the battery to back the claims. i never thought about companies lying about these products to that extent until moments ago.

Deep Cycle Battery and a trolling box like this:
Newport Vessels Trolling Motor Smart Battery Box
https://a.co/d/cQV10rM
Of course it’s not necessarily portable as something you can throw in your pack but I keep this in my car/truck for emergencies and camping.

Put a battery tender on it for long term storage.

Buy an inverter

I’ll put it this way, for under $200 you would be able to run small appliances, lights, charge your electronics, etc. for a week and still have 50% left. If you want to get even more fancy, you can buy portable solar panels from harbor freight and keep it topped off.

Again, great for long term camping, not super portable, but after 10 years of using a setup like this, I’ll never buy a manufactured power bank.

Of course it’s not necessarily portable as something you can throw in your pack but I keep this in my car/truck for emergencies and camping.

Buy an inverter

I’ll put it this way, for under $200 you would be able to run small appliances, lights, charge your electronics, etc. for a week and still have 50% left. If you want to get even more fancy, you can buy portable solar panels from harbor freight and keep it topped off.

Again, great for long term camping, not super portable, but after 10 years of using a setup like this, I’ll never buy a manufactured power bank.
Do you have a recommendation for a deep cycle battery? Or what to look for in general? Is there such a thing as a LiFePo4 deep cycle battery?

I recently picked up a Jackery Explorer 300, & a HF 100W solar panel that I’ve been playing with. The idea of adding the smart battery box & a deep cycle battery to the mix is interesting.

Buy an inverter

yeah portability it a MUST. its my whole purpose.

Back
Top Bottom