• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chef Knife

Please vote for one knife or suggest a different knife. Link a specific knife though

• https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...to-180mm-to-240mm-3-sizes?variant=29536941571

• https://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/premier-8-in.-chefs-knife

• https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi-8JLLgQXY/?taken-by=cbwblades

• Other

• Tacos

Results are only viewable after voting.
https://japanesechefsknife.com

They have whatever you are looking for, carbon steel, powdered steel, stainless, etc.

And as expensive as you wanna get. I have a Gekko Santoku that I love. It's basically a Damascus wrapped stainless core. After 4 years it's getting about time for me to mail it off and have it sharpened and touched up. Fantastic knife that was a little over $100.

View attachment 1762342 View attachment 1762343

How often do you use the knife? Any downsides?

Here's some better pics.

I use it pretty often since I'm the only one who cooks in my household. It was insanely sharp when I first got it. It is now showing some small chips and is starting to get dull...but it's still sharper than any other knife I have.

I always clean it and put it up as soon as I'm done with it, I don't let it sit with all the other dishes and wait to wash it later. For the money I think it's great. $100 doesn't break the bank and it's better than what I can buy locally for that price or higher. I wish it was fully Damascus but those knives bring a lot more money...$4-500 to start on that website I linked, I think.

The only downside I can see is, you're supposed to send it off and have it whetstoned to sharpen it. The Japanese knife forums have certain gurus they trust for this. Just like how AK guys have certain gunsmiths they trust.

I'm not sure why it would make a difference who sharpens it and how, but if I spend $40 (I think) every 4 years on $100 investment to know it's right, I'm ok with that. That being said...I haven't had it sharpened yet lol. Just been too lazy to find the info and mail it lol...

20160611_165752.jpg
20160611_165811.jpg

There is a downside to owning any nice kitchen knife. You'll start wanting a damn nice cutting board and when you research to find out the best ones and best looking ones...they're not cheap either!

I've got a super nice, heavy, end-cut (supposed to help not dull your knife) cutting board that I've been seasoning since Christmas...I haven't used it yet because I don't want to mark it up! :doh:

Here's some better pics.

I use it pretty often since I'm the only one who cooks in my household. It was insanely sharp when I first got it. It is now showing some small chips and is starting to get dull...but it's still sharper than any other knife I have.

I always clean it and put it up as soon as I'm done with it, I don't let it sit with all the other dishes and wait to wash it later. For the money I think it's great. $100 doesn't break the bank and it's better than what I can buy locally for that price or higher. I wish it was fully Damascus but those knives bring a lot more money...$4-500 to start on that website I linked, I think.

The only downside I can see is, you're supposed to send it off and have it whetstoned to sharpen it. The Japanese knife forums have certain gurus they trust for this. Just like how AK guys have certain gunsmiths they trust.

I'm not sure why it would make a difference who sharpens it and how, but if I spend $40 (I think) every 4 years on $100 investment to know it's right, I'm ok with that. That being said...I haven't had it sharpened yet lol. Just been too lazy to find the info and mail it lol...

View attachment 1762360 View attachment 1762361

Thanks for the write up homie!

How has it held up otherwise?
Extremely well.
I just stopped letting anyone else use it and it has the Asian edge angle (can't recall the exact angle) so you have to keep that in mind if you sharpen it yourself.

Edit : you can find them cheaper than the website MSRP. I got mine using reward points but the sticker price was close to 100 bucks.

Thanks for the write up homie!

Yeah man!

I really think you can't go wrong with any brand or style you buy. When you spend that kind of money, they're all on a whole nother level and you're gonna enjoy what you get! I think the main thing is to research what it is you want. Mainly blade style, handle shape, overall length and weight. I knew I wanted a medium large Santoku with some decent weight on it. I'm happy with it.

I've been thinking also, instead of spending $40 or so to have this one sharpened, I can buy another $100 knife instead. I've been wanting to try a more traditional Japanese knife in carbon steel this time around...

Back
Top Bottom