• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chevy 5.3 question

If both are 5.3 blocks yes everything else being the same but that's unlikely. There are gen model differences in HP and TQ so you might research that. The mapping in the PCM might be different if there are subtle changes in cam profile, injector pulse and sensor variances, and other major differences. But if you swap the complete engine management system over you should have no problem buts that's a bear of a job and you need considerable mechanical ability to even think about it. Let me look up some quick stats and I can give you a definite.

No it won't swap right out. There are considerable differences in sensor placement, crankshaft reluctors and ECM ( engine control module ) differences. After 2007 they go to a different computer system so no you can just do a simple swap and you cant reprogram for earlier engines . A lot of parts swaps would be involved along the complete induction system. I believe that later model have a computer controlled throttle body ( there is no cable operating the throttle body ). So you would have to do way to much work than it's worth. Best option is to buy a takeout engine and swap that out. VVT ( variable Valve Timing ) can also be a possibility ( drops injectors and valves at highway speeds ). So the basic answer is it will fit but will not work.

One thing is the engine out of some Tahoes are highly sought after in the Racine community because they may have cast iron blocks. So you may be sitting on a gold mine if you already have the 04 Tahoe engine. Take a magnet and see if it will stick to the block ( not heads but engine block itself ). If it sticks you have cast iron block as Opposed to aluminum blocks used in light trucks and cars. They bring good money so you could sell it to buy a take out engine from a 2009. The earlier cast iron 5.3's are worth more because they don't have the VVT feature which suits racers much, much, much better. The reason is those engines are capable of supporting and lasting at and over 1000 HP with proper internals and modifications. So the LS guys love those engines. Not so much the later more involved VVT engines like the 09 models. You will have to advertise it in the right circles to get top dollar.

Not the exact answer to your question, but I did something similar.
When the engine in my 09 Silverado suffered the dreaded lifter failure I had it replaced with a non-AFM remanufactured engine. Used a tuner to disable the AFM in the ECM to keep it from tripping the check engine light.
No problems with the engine and I would still be driving it today if it had not been totaled by a large tree during a storm.

I researched a used engine option and was told if it is a gen 3 engine or earlier then they are different. If the donor engine is a gen 4 then only the ECM tune would be required.
I believe a 2004 is a gen 2 :(

Not the exact answer to your question, but I did something similar.
When the engine in my 09 Silverado suffered the dreaded lifter failure I had it replaced with a non-AFM remanufactured engine. Used a tuner to disable the AFM in the ECM to keep it from tripping the check engine light.
No problems with the engine and I would still be driving it today if it had not been totaled by a large tree during a storm.

I researched a used engine option and was told if it is a gen 3 engine or earlier then the crank reducer and the sensors are different. If the donor engine is a gen 4 then only the ECM tune would be required.
I believe a 2004 is a gen 2 :(
Yes they are two different generation engines. Even though they are both 5.3 cubic inch engines they are completely different engines. The 09 possibly has VVT and a completely different computer that is not capable of being programmed to the 04 engine. Some of the sensors on the back of the 04 engine are on the front of the 09 engine so rewiring would have to be done. The 09 has a 58 tooth reluctor also. The 04 has a 24 tooth reluctor. Among those differences it also has a completely different induction system. The differences are just to vast to count. The amount of modifications required to make that swap would be too costly to even consider for a moment.

There's also three different 5.3's that they use in that year. The 8 digit of the VIN number denotes the type of 5.3 you have. The VVT might be on the 6.0 only. I'm very familiar with the 5-3 platform but not the 09. I have an 04 5.3 in my truck.

Don't quote me on everything I said because it's been 10 years since I fooled with them so I might be off on a few facts. I do know that the reluctors are different, the computers are completely different and the sensor locations have changed and also the induction systems are different.

I have a CPU and wiring harness from an '04 5.3L if that helps.
You're welcome to it...
I believe that the 09's have fly by wire so he would have to install a gas pedal with a cable. Those Tahoe 5.3's are different animals than just the light truck and car engines. In Order to keep everything as is ( if they are comparable arrangements ) would be change the flywheel, swap out a lot of the bolt on systems like exhaust manifold, intake manifold and throttle body ( basically the complete induction) and pulley and accessory drives. There again is a problem because the Tahoe engines made a considerable more HP and TQ so cam profile may be different. The 8th digit of the VIN number would give me a lot of much needed info to refer to. That is key here. We are shooting in the dark because there so many different variations of that engine we could set here all day and throw out suggestions only to learn he has a 16 valve engine ( for example ) and it's just not doable at all.

Back
Top Bottom