• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Choosing a 22 rifle - opinions

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
Health stopped me shooting a few years ago, but I need to get back into it. So my goal right now is to do a little messing around with 22 rifle target shooting, not competition level, but with more accuracy than basic plinkers.

I have an older 10/22 target and want to pit it, and myself, against a left handed, wood stocked bolt action.

Looking at the market right now the options, budget wise, seem to be: SAVAGE MARK II BTV cost around $474 or a CZ 457 VARMINT cost around $550, (top of budget).

Any thoughts on the inherent accuracy / suitability of either of these ?

I'd prefer to hang on and pick up a LH CZ 452, but thin on the ground, and I'm impatient :)

Tikka t1x FTW in that price range. The Savage is near dead last option for me in any budget. Too many inherent issues with em.
I looked at them, but not wood stocked, (I'm a traditionalist), and generally over the $550 max budget. This is for fun really, pretty sure all of them are inherently more accurate than me :)

Health stopped me shooting a few years ago, but I need to get back into it. So my goal right now is to do a little messing around with 22 rifle target shooting, not competition level, but with more accuracy than basic plinkers.

I have an older 10/22 target and want to pit it, and myself, against a left handed, wood stocked bolt action.

Looking at the market right now the options, budget wise, seem to be: SAVAGE MARK II BTV cost around $474 or a CZ 457 VARMINT cost around $550, (top of budget).

Any thoughts on the inherent accuracy / suitability of either of these ?

I'd prefer to hang on and pick up a LH CZ 452, but thin on the ground, and I'm impatient :)
I give you good advice, use your 10/22 action do some polishing and change couple springs. That action ez work on, order you a lilja 22 stainless target barrel they make drop in barrell, order you good target stock they make several, from boyds thumbhole to a benchrest type stock so that 1 inch stainless barrel will fit without tounching the stock you will be shooting 1/8inch groups at 50 yds with some good eley tenex match ammo, it will take a pro to beat you, cost probably gon be bout 600 bux it will be well worth it, i have built several, if i can help let me know,

I give you good advice, use your 10/22 action do some polishing and change couple springs. That action ez work on, order you a lilja 22 stainless target barrel they make drop in barrell, order you good target stock they make several, from boyds thumbhole to a benchrest type stock so that 1 inch stainless barrel will fit without tounching the stock you will be shooting 1/8inch groups at 50 yds with some good eley tenex match ammo, it will take a pro to beat you, cost probably gon be bout 600 bux it will be well worth it, i have built several, if i can help let me know,
I appreciate all the info, but this is really about me seeing which I can shoot the best. I'm about $450 into the used 10/22 with a Volquartsen hammer kit, so looking up to $550 for the bolt as it'll probably have to be new :)

One cheapo scope on hand, pick up something similar and I'll be set.

Lolz

I’d go with the CZ457 Varmint from your 3 options you listed. I shoot the Pro Varmint in NRL22 and PRS rimfire and it’s a very competitive rifle. I’ve seen it shoot a single ragged hole at 50 yds with the right ammo and good lot.

I’d go with the CZ457 Varmint from your 3 options you listed. I shoot the Pro Varmint in NRL22 and PRS rimfire and it’s a very competitive rifle. I’ve seen it shoot a single ragged hole at 50 yds with the right ammo and good lot.
I do like CZs, probably pull the trigger on one, just been reading that some are much better than others, bit of a lottery.

I do like CZs, probably pull the trigger on one, just been reading that some are much better than others, bit of a lottery.
I’m happy with mine once I found the ammo it liked best .. every barrel is gonna have slight differences in what it likes … I tested from $4 bx to $20 bx and found a price I can afford with accuracy I like. They have a MTR with a match chamber that’s tighter so bulk ammo may cause problems. I got the pro Varmint that doesn’t have a match chamber and it’s fine for what I need it to do using match ammo. I’ve made impacts on steel targets in a match from 35yds to 384yds lol

Another vote for the CZ 457. Solid rifle and worth the $$$ IMHO. The Savage rifles can be hit or miss. Had an FVSR which was great, but the magazines can be finicky. I also watched some reviews of their B22 rifle and it seems to have some extraction issues. Not sure if they ever got that worked out. Either way. the CZ 457 would be my top choice.

Back
Top Bottom