• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Choosing a Benchmade

I have an auto presido. Love the thing. My only regret was that I used it without realizing it wasnt a standard production run. It is the marine coyote tan with the crest on the blade.

My 2 Cents - Do not buy any knife with a black coated blade if you plan to use it - ever...

I personally like un-coated - non-serated - smaller knifes.. Auto / assisted opening is an expensive gimmick.

Adventure Outdoors has almost all of the Benchmade models in stock - go handle them before you decide. Good Luck
Yall need to quit wasting your money on those cheap made knives and get you a Kershaw! :boink: I had a Leek for 6 years and used it almost daily and the coating didn't come off that. I just went and bought another one hoping I don't lose it! That auto assist is nice when in a tight place and you want a blade open quick.

I carry a regular 551 non-Serrated satin drop point as my EDC and find it gets the job done. It is a little big but I don't have a problem with it. My main advise is to shop around. I found a $20 difference in the going price for mine in the Atlanta area. Also look at online sellers, I have had really good results with BladeHQ.

Oh I don't know, I think the black coated blades hold up well don't you think?:confused:

View attachment 230232

Just kidding. Plain blade no coating gets my vote, I will say I would spend a little more and get a model made in Oregon USA

My 9050 looks like this also. It's 154cm and takes a crazy sharp edge. One of the sharpest I've ever owned.

I bought & carried Benchmades for over 20 years. They do a great job designing their models, collaborating w/ custom makers, & marketing their knives.

I daily carried griptilians (mainly the Doug Ritter S30V versions) & an auto (mini stryker) for most of the time that I had them. I had gotten frustrated w/ having to pay $90-$150 for a folding knife plus every time I used them it seemed they dulled to easily. I use mine medium hard to hard. With all of the money they've made you would think they could at least incorporate better edge holding properties than what I was experiencing. But I stayed with them out of habit.

Finally CCW woke me up to trying some other brands.
I now carry/ use Spyderco's, SOG's, Ontario's (RAT I), & Kershaws exclusively... mainly the RAT I & the SOG Spec Elite I.
All of my Benchmades were sold on ebay for close to what I had in them ($70-$120) & were replaced for $20-$60 per knife.

Performance wise they seem (to me) to hold their edges longer or at least just as well for a fraction of the price.

Other people have had better experiences with them than myself. Maybe the years that I bought all of mine were "transition" years or I just got a few lemons.

Last edited:
If it's a knife and it get's used how it is supposed to it is going to show signs of wear. Just because some black coating wears off doesn't mean it is useless. I carried Presidio on my last deployment in Afghanistan and it performed and held up great. I have no complaints. I still use it to this day now that I am back. Benchmade makes great knifes to and you can always send them in to get serviced. I do like there assisted knifes as well and they can be sent in to get tuned if needed but I do prefer a regular folder just for redundancy. Also I think a serrated blade is a must have for any hard use. It will shred through materials like rope quickly if needed.

I've owned a few but I have been favoring Kershaw knives lately. I know the steel is better on a Benchmade but I don't think it's $50 better. I'm not really hard on my knives though.

Can't go wrong with getting a BM. I've owned several. The only ones I have left are a 9050, autostryker, infidel, and an old cqc7. I'm having issues with the infidel but their customer service is taking care of it.

Back
Top Bottom