• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chrome Lining on an AR

I'm not arguing that the average shooter NEEDS it, but there's no disputing it extends barrel life. I don't NEED a motorcycle that does over 180 either, but I have one.

well put. My match rifles are not chrome lined, but I don't knock those that are. Always looked at it as insurance for those who either don't clean or improperly clean there rifles.

I'm not arguing that the average shooter NEEDS it, but there's no disputing it extends barrel life. I don't NEED a motorcycle that does over 180 either, but I have one.

I suppose, but even after serious shooting only your long range accuracy will really suffer. I like ADCO's take on barrels.

Throat Erosion happens every time you pull the trigger, and the higher the round count the more longer range accuracy degrades. A chrome chamber will slow this down, but the throat area is still burning away with each shot. In CMP competition shooting, a "worn out" barrel will no longer group well at 600yds between 5-6000rds. That same barrel will still shoot MOA at 300yds for 2000more rounds, and MOA at 100yds, for another 10,000rds. As a barrel wears, the longer range accuracy drops off. If you don't do much shooting beyond 300yds, it will take a long time to notice any degradation in performance.

well put. My match rifles are not chrome lined, but I don't knock those that are. Always looked at it as insurance for those who either don't clean or improperly clean there rifles.

I agree, mine are not chrome lined and I've heard it impacts accuracy a small amount at long distances. In my case, I'm not doing long distance competitions so I don't either way. And I always clean my rifles :)

The only other reason to need it is if you're marching around south east Asia in the rainy season... keeping in mind when the M16 met the battlefield... arguably poorly due to many reasons.

I definitely agree that it's not needed for the recreational shooter.

I just love the argument of "I don't want to degrade accuracy with a worn out barrel, so lets get chrome lined so I can degrade accuracy from the start". and again if it is a cleaning issue, get melonite, leaving your AR dirty with decent ammo isn't going to hurt it unless you leave it in the steam room.

True on the chrome lining. I had a SR 556E - not chrome lined. And I still shot pathetically bad with it for the 2 magazines I fired over my 6 months of ownership.

Aren't most of the higher end ARs all chrome lined anyway? I guess if you are a build it yourself guy you have choice.

But it's a question that carries over to most equipment - do use it enough to need a chrome lined barrel? Do you need and are you good enough to notice the difference in accuracy? Some people fall into these categories, most don't.

I go to Triathlons where some guys have $8,000 bikes because it weighs 16lbs instead of 17.5lbs. And they
are 25lbs overweight themselves. Maybe the top 5% can extract a tangible benefit.

1 MOA, 2 MOA, 3MOA - means nothing to me. But I like cool guns.

90% of life is just showing up.

Last edited:
If I only bought the gun stuff I actually need, I'd be a helluva lot richer.

Yup - it's the icing on the cake. The joy of being alive, having a passion. I just wish I could find something cheaper. Triathlons, body building, guns - I threaten my wife that Golf is next. Talk about a money pit. A good walk spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom