• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chrome Lining on an AR

True on the chrome lining. I had a SR 556E - not chrome lined. And I still shot pathetically bad with it for the 2 magazines I fired over my 6 months of ownership.

Aren't most of the higher end ARs all chrome lined anyway? I guess if you are a build it yourself guy you have choice.

But it's a question that carries over to most equipment - do use it enough to need a chrome lined barrel? Do you need and are you good enough to notice the difference in accuracy? Some people fall into these categories, most don't.

I go to Triathlons where some guys have $8,000 bikes because it weighs 16lbs instead of 17.5lbs. And they
are 25lbs overweight themselves. Maybe the top 5% can extract a tangible benefit.

1 MOA, 2 MOA, 3MOA - means nothing to me. But I like cool guns.

90% of life is just showing up.

I wish I still did Tri's, I lent my bike to an idiot who destroyed it and got fat with this school bull****.

I just love the argument of "I don't want to degrade accuracy with a worn out barrel, so lets get chrome lined so I can degrade accuracy from the start". and again if it is a cleaning issue, get melonite, leaving your AR dirty with decent ammo isn't going to hurt it unless you leave it in the steam room.

I have to admit...I don't know what "melonite" is and I've never seen it as an option while shopping for the several ARs I've put together over the last year or so.

I have to admit...I don't know what "melonite" is and I've never seen it as an option while shopping for the several ARs I've put together over the last year or so.

Melonite is also known as nitrocarburization, ion bond, etc. Glock and Smith and Wesson both treat their slides with melonite. Smith and Wesson, LWRC and Troy are using melonite on their AR barrels. It is corrosion resistant and surface hardens the treated metal. All in all, it's a good choice for barrel treatment.

Last edited:
My Adams Arms upper in 5.45x39 is melonite.

LOVE IT! Makes cleanup a snap. Which is what I was looking for since I mainly shoot surplus ammo. They do the bolt and bolt carrier, too.

I'm not arguing that the average shooter NEEDS it, but there's no disputing it extends barrel life. I don't NEED a motorcycle that does over 180 either, but I have one.
This ^^^^^^^^

Is it necessary for 99% of the people that use AR's for plinking? Absolutely not. But there is no disputing that a chrome lined barrel and chamber makes the barrel last longer. It's harder than the regular barrel steel, it resists corrosion, aids in chambering and extraction and is more resistant to fouling .... There is a reason that this is basically the international standard for ALL battle rifles ;)

It does NOT make the rifle more accurate but it will make the rifle remain more accurate over it's lifetime because it cuts down the wear rate.

Melonite/Chome lining ... either way it's worth the extra few bucks if you care about the life of the barrel and are interested in cleaning it being easier :D

Last edited:
Yup - it's the icing on the cake. The joy of being alive, having a passion. I just wish I could find something cheaper. Triathlons, body building, guns - I threaten my wife that Golf is next. Talk about a money pit. A good walk spoiled.

Forget golf, if you want to spend real money, try sailboat racing

Its all carbon fiber gear and titanium and kevlar and it breaks when ever the wind blows. I was just at a regatta in florida right before sandy and guys were breaking $10,000 masts and $2000 rudders every other 5 minutes

40 rudders and 12 masts broke in two days.

And you guys complain about the cost of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom