Cleaning Osprey 45

Any finish damage? ultrasonics will damage the surface finish on aluminum as well as lead to the pitting(cavitational attack) of aluminum.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=140344.0

I was talking with ray @ moss pawn about this very subject. He uses a LOW HEAT non basket ultrasonic with a solution of simple green and water. No more than 15 minutes. He said he had no issues. While I dont condone this nor would I do it, I think there are cleaning methods that will not lead to damage or finish loss.

I was talking with ray @ moss pawn about this very subject. He uses a LOW HEAT non basket ultrasonic with a solution of simple green and water. No more than 15 minutes. He said he had no issues. While I dont condone this nor would I do it, I think there are cleaning methods that will not lead to damage or finish loss.

Did you click the link? soap and water did that, it's called a cavitational attack and it has nothing to do with contact with a basket or cleaning solution.

In order to clean aluminum you have to change the frequency
Because aluminum is such a soft metal, it is susceptible to the cavitation implosions that ultrasound cleaning produces. The cavitation bubbles can actually scar and slightly etch away the top surface, leaving what looks like star bursts. Couple this with a polished chrome finish, and the scarring looks even more pronounced in comparison.

To protect this very delicate finish, a few alterations to the general ultrasonic cleaning process must be implemented:

Reduce the temperature of the ultrasonic bath to no more than 130°F;
Use a reduced pH ultrasonic soap with aluminum buffers;
Don’t leave the parts in the bath for as long as you normally would when cleaning other metallic items; and;
Adjust your ultrasonic washer to operate at a higher frequency. Washing the item while alternating between a standard frequency (40 kHz) and a higher frequency (68 kHz – 170 kHz) will give you the best of both worlds - thorough, yet gentle, cleaning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom