• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coach Gun for hunting

CherryCola

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
16   0
Reaction score
I dont do much hunting, but I want to start going on the occasional dove shoot as a way to bond with my dad and brother-in-law, so I'm looking for a shotgun.

The reason behind wanting a side by side coach gun is that I feel like it might can fill more than one purpose. I currently only own a cheap pump HD shotgun, but I feel like I might sell it and have this coach gun be for both HD and hunting. I'm trying to slim down my collection to be only firearms I actually use. I also think the coach could be used for hunting more than just dove if I wanted it to.

My question is, would a 20 or 24 inch coach be viable for dove at all?

Here are the two the Im looking at:

usually want 28 inch barrel with modified choke for dove. most coach guns have shorter barrels and more open chokes.
With both of these, one barrel is IC and the other is modified. The Stoeger also has a premium version that allows you to change out the chokes.

I'm not really worried about barrel length. The only thing that would give me is an easier/more time to track the dove.

I very much prefer a good set of choke tubes any day. Then figure out best combo with choke and ammo to make it pattern it's very best. Then you have something

What do you think is more important, choke tubes on a 20 inch or the standard Mod/IC chokes on a 24 inch?
I would pick the 24" barrel with mod/ic over a 20" with screw in chokes.

Personally I would explore other options and keep my HD gun and buy another to hunt with because if you enjoy it that's going to happen anyway.

Without breaking the bank I would look at a Remington 870 and get 2 barrels, a 26-28" and a barrel for home defense if you only want one gun.

Back
Top Bottom