• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College bowls payouts

Yeah that part is nice for sure. I'm just not sure the scholarship is worth the abuse they take, plus the $$$$$$$ they generate for the NCAA, ESPN, FOX, ABC, CBS, EA Sports, and their respective schools.

A friend of mine in college was an Outland Trophy winner, and a member of the most dominating offensive line I've ever seen play college football. He had a wonderful college career, a short lived pro career (due to injury) and works for the railroad. He said being a big time star was a bit like winning the lottery, and it came with all of the negatives as well. NU has taken major steps to develop kids into young men, and help them focus on life after football, but the toll the sport takes on the body often lasts a lifetime. It only seems fair that these athletes are given some compensation, given the ridiculous sums of money that coaches, schools, and sports networks make from their play.
It gives them a ticket to a 7 figure paycheck first year out of school. Nobody is forced to play. I'd probably take it.

It gives them a ticket to a 7 figure paycheck first year out of school. Nobody is forced to play. I'd probably take it.

For a very, very small percentage that make it into pro sports. The rest graduate, many have life altering injuries, and take jobs like you or me.

For a very, very small percentage that make it into pro sports. The rest graduate, many have life altering injuries, and take jobs like you or me.

Did you miss the part about "Nobody is forced to play"?
Without the system/coaches/Universities/money in place these kids would have a very minimal chance at a college education. Much less a pro career.

Did you miss the part about "Nobody is forced to play"?
Without the system/coaches/Universities/money in place these kids would have a very minimal chance at a college education. Much less a pro career.

Not all college athletes are knuckledraggers, and many could attend on other merit. Yes, for others it may be there only shot at an education--even MORE of a reason to compensate those who risk their grey matter for our enjoyment. Of course you aren't forced to play, but could you imagine a scenario where a 17 year old kid could perhaps make a poor decision? All I'm arguing is that if they are the fuel behind these massive paydays for coaches, schools, and networks, they deserve a slice of the pie.

It's ok, I just saw a commercial for affordable insurance that said "now I'm covered". So I think these guys will be alright! (It didn't mention the sandpaper condom that gets used to dispense the insurance however)

Not all college athletes are knuckledraggers, and many could attend on other merit. Yes, for others it may be there only shot at an education--even MORE of a reason to compensate those who risk their grey matter for our enjoyment. Of course you aren't forced to play, but could you imagine a scenario where a 17 year old kid could perhaps make a poor decision? All I'm arguing is that if they are the fuel behind these massive paydays for coaches, schools, and networks, they deserve a slice of the pie.
No what you are arguing is they deserve a BIGGER slice of the pie. Liberals always want the imagined 'down trodden' to get a BIGGER slice. They get a free ride. I didn't. That's a pretty big slice of the pie when I'm sure the average value is well above $100k now. Do some suffer physical injuries? Of course. Do some become multi-millionaires? Of course. Nobody appointed you or I as their momma.
If you think there's abuse and risk taking NOW, just pay them (literally) to play and watch the hijinks.
A concept liberals are woefully incapable of understanding is "the law of unintended consequences".

Ok, I see your point and don't necessarily disagree HOWEVER if that's the case, they should get NO scholarship and it should be merit based on performance? Just a thought

Ok, I see your point and don't necessarily disagree HOWEVER if that's the case, they should get NO scholarship and it should be merit based on performance? Just a thought

Scholarship plus a decent stipend, exactly the same way many Universities operate with graduate level students. Cap the stipend to eliminate competition between schools for pay, and call it a day.

Uh....NO? Are you cool with your taxes paying for that at a public university? Don't think that bowl money is gonna cover since there are MANY teams that don't go to a bowl. I'll stick to pro sports being where they get paid and lil Timmy can hope his knee holds up in college

Or he can go get student loans like the rest of the free world

No what you are arguing is they deserve a BIGGER slice of the pie. Liberals always want the imagined 'down trodden' to get a BIGGER slice. They get a free ride. I didn't. That's a pretty big slice of the pie when I'm sure the average value is well above $100k now. Do some suffer physical injuries? Of course. Do some become multi-millionaires? Of course. Nobody appointed you or I as their momma.
If you think there's abuse and risk taking NOW, just pay them (literally) to play and watch the hijinks.
A concept liberals are woefully incapable of understanding is "the law of unintended consequences".
Eh, you need to try to have a discussion outside of labels and preconceived notions of my stances.
My point is simply that those on athletic scholarships do more in terms of $$$ for revenue generation for their respective universities, and suffer a much higher rate of life altering injury than your average full ride math major.

Back
Top Bottom