• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Color Blind question

WallsGa

Wolf Icon Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
342   0
Reaction score
Question for you color blind folks: I’m buying a friend of mine a light/laser for his pistol. He’s color blind (Red/green). Does that affect his usage of a red or green laser dot? How about a reticle/dot on an RMR?

Which would be better for him to use?

Question for you color blind folks: I’m buying a friend of mine a light/laser for his pistol. He’s color blind (Red/green). Does that affect his usage of a red or green laser dot? How about a reticle/dot on an RMR?

Which would be better for him to use?

I wouldn’t spend more for a green reticle/dot if he can’t differentiate between red/green. I guess that’s a good thing! Both looks the same and you save some $.

I wouldn’t spend more for a green reticle/dot if he can’t differentiate between red/green. I guess that’s a good thing! Both looks the same and you save some $.
Thanks.

I’m not worried about him differentiating the colors. I guess I‘m wondering if there would be an issue with him acquiring the laser sight on target or if a reticle RMR would be better.

Its not like they can’t see lights or objects with those colors. They perceive them differently. Like brown. Visit a brick and mortar store and let him test drive a few. Find out what flavor works for him

I teach and coach MRDS sights on pistol. The people I've helped with color blindness could see the green dot but not the red. Under my impression they see it as another color more like yellow. Same thing for iron sights with a fiber front. I know from a laser grip standpoint the red can't be seen in the daytime unless close up but the green is better for regular eyes. My issue is that in low light, home defense (structures) the green washes out way to easily with a weapon or hand held light and light colored backgrounds like sheetrock walls and white doors. If they can experiment with other people's gear that's the best way for them to find the best solution. Asking non color blind people for their opinion can be a rabbit hole. One thing that hinders a dot sight is having sight in only one eye. They need to be capable of having both eyes on the target. Not looking through it like a scope. If they have floaters or eye issues some brands are worse than others. I've learned to shoot regardless of eye sight or astigmatism like issues. Mind over matter. My favorite line is to put the blurry sight on the center of the blurry target and press the bloody trigger.

Hope that helps.

Little side note but a few years ago I was looking at the Browe scopes (former engineer at Trijicon made some changes to the ACOG and started his own company) and they made a blue reticle specifically for the color blind folks. I kinda liked the light blue, it stood out regardless of background.

Back
Top Bottom