• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

I've only shot an AR once, but am now interested in buying one. I don't do a lot of customization so buying a complete setup would probably be best. It'll mostly be for target practice and for home defense. Can I get some suggestions on which manufacturers to look into? Any specific models to look at?
I own several AR-15 and AR-10. I recommend the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 5.56 NATO.
Then you can shoot 5.56 x 45 or .223.

The gun has been flawless and very well put together. Plus, you can find them around 500 bucks.

Just don't shoot 5.56 x 45 through a .223.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've only shot an AR once, but am now interested in buying one. I don't do a lot of customization so buying a complete setup would probably be best. It'll mostly be for target practice and for home defense. Can I get some suggestions on which manufacturers to look into? Any specific models to look at?

Stick with a Colt- we’ll within your price range and a great quality AR. 6920 is a great common and easy available model.

Like someone else already said- stay away from home built AR’s.

I have been happy with a fairly plane Jane M4 clone from RRA. I put on a 3-point sling because that's what I am most used to and I switched out the front sight post for a Trijicon. I prefer a pistol with a light as a nightstand gun but I like having an AR around as well.

3. A shotgun is not nearly as easy for a novice to operate as a 5.56 carbine is.

/QUOTE]
Lucy, you got some ‘splainin’ to do.....

Pull trigger, 2 food spread of shot that will penetrate the intruder but probably not all of your walls....what makes a carbine easier? Not snarky, just wondering..

2 feet of spread at indoor distances? I don’t think so and I hope not. Most people are not 2 feet wide, so why would you want a 2’ spread? Every pellet that doesn’t hit the target will hit SOMETHING......probably something or someone you do not want to hit. Out of an unmodified, 18” Remington 870 barrel, Federal Reduced Recoil LE 00 buck has a pattern of around 8 3/4”. A properly modified barrel will group the same load at the same distance in well under 6”.

In order to be at it’s utmost effectiveness, you want to hit the other guy with every single pellet. A load of Federal Reduced Recoil LE 00 buckshot has roughly the same energy as a 55grn 5.56 round........if you hit them with every single pellet. Each pellet off the target is less energy/damage to the threat.

WANTING a wide spread with a shotgun is the exact opposite of what you actually NEED. You want a very tight pattern where you are ensured, with proper AIM, of putting every single pellet into the center of the target.

Here is more detailed information on energy and patterns of tactical 00 buckshot out of different barrel lengths with different barrel treatments: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/t...different-barrel-lengths-and-options.1457681/

As to why I claim that an AR in 5.56 is easier for a novice to operate than a shotgun, there are several reasons:

1. Recoil. Even with a 20ga or a 12 ga using reduced/managed recoil ammunition, the recoil of an AR in 5.56 is much less. Less recoil is a major factor in how quickly the shooter can make multiple shots. Additionally, if the shooter is not a regular practitioner, or is recoil shy, that first shot from a shotgun may not be a good one.

2. If the shotgun being used is a pump action, there is a chance of user error, usually in the form of “short stroking”, causing a malfunction. I see it regularly in my students. An AR does not have this problem. If the AR has decent ammo and is halfway decently maintained, it’ll go bang until the magazine is empty.

3. Semi-automatic shotguns are much more ammunition sensitive than a pump-action version. There are many different types of actions in different semi-automatic shotguns......some can also have have shooter induced malfunctions when used improperly, like the inertia driven action in many of the Benelli and Beretta shotguns.

4. The capacity on the vast majority of shotguns is nowhere near the capacity of an AR. In addition, the rate of reload is much slower for most folks. In the time that a beginning student can load 30rds in an AR, they will only load 1-2 rounds in a shotgun.

P paisa777 in that price range I would go to Sons of Liberty Gunworks and see what they have on special. Common for them to have carbines on sale down into the $900’s. Like this one: https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/c...e-sl-black-friday-special?variant=10455647553

While it is a subject that will start as many arguments as anything else around here, in my professional opinion a good AR in 5.56, set up properly and loaded with the right ammo, is an outstanding choice for home security. I wouldn’t hesitate to use one for that purpose.
Completely agree but to caveat this with proper training. I’m not sure why there are a couple of posters saying it isn’t a good home defense weapon, but we use the M4 platform for CQB all the time overseas and it’s the preferred home clearing weapon of SWAT and SOF teams. With that being said, these posters are correct if their reasoning is lack of proper training.

But as most have said, I’d allocate some of that budget to training since you said you’re a novice. Highly recommend training from a qualified professional.

With that said, most guys here prefer the LE6920 (colt) since it’s the best all around rifle. It can be right back had for 700ish, leaving you enough for a class or two and some ammo.

Lots of good info here. As mentioned ammo choice is a big factor for HD. I really like the heavier grain stuff like Blackhills 77grain Hollow Points or the hornady TAP. Apparently they fracture more in the event of a misplaced round in say a wall. That being said its a good idea to make sure the barrel is at least a 1/8 twist, 1/7 twist is common. This will help stabalize heavier bullets. More an issue when shooting distance.

What do you guys thinks of RRA? Ive had thier LAR15 lower with national match trigger and real liked it but that was a range gun and not run hard.

Back
Top Bottom