• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

Ruger is NOT a good option.

Unhrouded firing pins (yes, someone still purposefully makes that poor and terribly designed style carrier), YFS fasteners with insufficient staking, random coating on firing pin, poor finish machine work on a NON HP/MPI 9310 bolt , barrel nuts that are 90% of the time excessively torqued, and 100% of the time installed without anti-seize. FSP pinned with what is likely a 50T press, plastic delta ring, **** rear BUIS with only 1 aperture selection, non-shielded handgaurds, and most of the time, unstaked castle nuts.

Absolutely zero reason to buy that pile of trash.

For the $1,000-ish range, your answer is BCM or Sionics Weapon Systems. I dont push SOLGW anymore until they can get their **** together. I cannot count the number of people who had orders go well past their noted lead time or screwed up NFA paperwork. The products are fine, but the shipping/inventory integrity portion of their their business is currently garbage.

Interesting about SOLGW. Not that I order from them regularly, but in the past I ordered a complete rifle with many changes from the “standard” package and it arrived within the quoted lead time. I’ve ordered uppers, lowers, BCG’s, and other assorted parts, especially during this past Black Friday/holiday sales season, and my orders have arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but I realize parts shipments are not what you’re referring to. Like I said, I’ve only ordered 1 assembled carbine from them, so while my experience has been 100% positive, it’s not exactly in-depth.

Interesting about SOLGW. Not that I order from them regularly, but in the past I ordered a complete rifle with many changes from the “standard” package and it arrived within the quoted lead time. I’ve ordered uppers, lowers, BCG’s, and other assorted parts, especially during this past Black Friday/holiday sales season, and my orders have arrived in a reasonable amount of time, but I realize parts shipments are not what you’re referring to. Like I said, I’ve only ordered 1 assembled carbine from them, so while my experience has been 100% positive, it’s not exactly in-depth.
One guy just got a barrel ordered pre-Black Friday that was marked “in-stock”, but not. Another just “received” his Black Friday rifle, but the NFA paperwork was wrong and sent to the wrong FFL....twice......numerous others with lead time issues. Hoping they get the stock management and shipping systems sorted.

One guy just got a barrel ordered pre-Black Friday that was marked “in-stock”, but not. Another just “received” his Black Friday rifle, but the NFA paperwork was wrong and sent to the wrong FFL....twice......numerous others with lead time issues. Hoping they get the stock management and shipping systems sorted.

Thanks for the info.

I've seen Colt 6920's with the MagPul furniture on here for $700-$800, I own one and it's a fine rifle just as it comes from the factory. I've changed mine up a bit with parts I already had, a Samson drop in carbine rail, DD VFG, DD fixed rear sight and a EOTech red dot. Even with my old tired eyes I can still shoot 3" groups @ 100 yds with it. Get a decent rifle to start with instead of an entry level rifle, it's like when people ask me what size motorcycle should I start out with. DON'T start out with the smallest bike because a week later you're gonna be wishing you had of spent a little more on a bigger stronger bike, same deal with an AR. If you're gonna get one to keep then go ahead and get the best rifle you can afford and get some training on the platform, you won't end up regretting it in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth.....

Ruger is NOT a good option.

Unhrouded firing pins (yes, someone still purposefully makes that poor and terribly designed style carrier), YFS fasteners with insufficient staking, random coating on firing pin, poor finish machine work on a NON HP/MPI 9310 bolt , barrel nuts that are 90% of the time excessively torqued, and 100% of the time installed without anti-seize. FSP pinned with what is likely a 50T press, plastic delta ring, **** rear BUIS with only 1 aperture selection, non-shielded handgaurds, and most of the time, unstaked castle nuts.

Absolutely zero reason to buy that pile of trash.

For the $1,000-ish range, your answer is BCM or Sionics Weapon Systems. I dont push SOLGW anymore until they can get their **** together. I cannot count the number of people who had orders go well past their noted lead time or screwed up NFA paperwork. The products are fine, but the shipping/inventory integrity portion of their their business is currently garbage.
BCM All The Way All Day!!!! Battle proven and underrated IMO. CMMG makes some Awesome rifles as well , mines Never let me down....she'll eat any ammo you got, never jammed or blew up on me and more accurate than i am. Hope you find a rifle that treats you right , just keep it locked up, some folks believe they'll walk off somewhere and shoot somebody.

BCM All The Way All Day!!!! Battle proven and underrated IMO. CMMG makes some Awesome rifles as well , mines Never let me down....she'll eat any ammo you got, never jammed or blew up on me and more accurate than i am. Hope you find a rifle that treats you right , just keep it locked up, some folks believe they'll walk off somewhere and shoot somebody.
I just had to fix a CMMG factory rifle. Barrel nut not torqued properly (loose), crappy aluminum clamp on gas block that was installed loose and didn’t even have Loctite on the screws (this also supported and end cap and M4 handgaurds), and the gas port was HUGE. Carbine gas gun with a 16” barrel, but with a .075” gas port....that’s not even close.

I replaced the garbage gas block with a set screw type from BRT and used the .063” reducer to correct it being massively over gassed. I also dimpled the barrel and installed it using red 272 Loctite as required to ensure it will not come loose. Replaced the drop in handgaurds with a 15” FF rail and installed an A2 RE. It’s good to go now.

ETA: also had a black O ring around the extractor spring. I removed it since the rifle is now properly gassed and not violently cycling.

I just had to fix a CMMG factory rifle. Barrel nut not torqued properly (loose), crappy aluminum clamp on gas block that was installed loose and didn’t even have Loctite on the screws (this also supported and end cap and M4 handgaurds), and the gas port was HUGE. Carbine gas gun with a 16” barrel, but with a .075” gas port....that’s not even close.

I replaced the garbage gas block with a set screw type from BRT and used the .063” reducer to correct it being massively over gassed. I also dimpled the barrel and installed it using red 272 Loctite as required to ensure it will not come loose. Replaced the drop in handgaurds with a 15” FF rail and installed an A2 RE. It’s good to go now.

ETA: also had a black O ring around the extractor spring. I removed it since the rifle is now properly gassed and not violently cycling.
Hate it you had trouble ; first I've ever heard of (Noted). The Military gives good reviews of'em. The last CMMG I bought was a Mutant Rifle and I can't say enough good about it ; I'll put it up against anything as far as reliability.

I've only shot an AR once, but am now interested in buying one. I don't do a lot of customization so buying a complete setup would probably be best. It'll mostly be for target practice and for home defense. Can I get some suggestions on which manufacturers to look into? Any specific models to look at?
Dahlonega Gun and Gold

Pfft, a choice for every occasion.

20180303_135639.jpg

Handgun and SBR, both with white light close by as well. Come at me bro... :boink:

I have had more problems with CMMG uppers than with any other brand. Mostly defective bolts of all sorts. Their customer service is quite good though, so there’s that.
Their LPKs are still some of the better ones generally on the market.

Back
Top Bottom